From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Clarify language of GLEP 39
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2017 12:29:08
1 On Sun, Jan 15, 2017 at 4:10 AM, Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
2 >>>>>> On Sat, 14 Jan 2017, Doug Freed wrote:
3 >
4 >> Therefore, I'm specifically asking the council to remove the
5 >> ambiguity in the language and pick one clear meaning.
6 >
7 > The council has no jurisdiction over GLEP 39 and cannot change its
8 > wording. GLEP 39 defines our metastructure, including the council
9 > itself, and was approved by an all devs vote.
12 While this thought did occur to me, the topic seems trivial enough
13 that it would be silly to have a constitutional crisis over it. All
14 the deliberations over the Trustees/Council/SPI stuff might fall into
15 that category, but what to do over projects that lack a lead?
16
17 And if we did decide that we don't want to touch it, that basically
18 leaves us in a de facto situation where projects don't need to elect a
19 lead, since GLEP39 did not make any provisions for enforcing that
20 requirement, and heaven forbid somebody take the initiative to come up
21 with one because GLEP39... :)
22
23 However, I don't think we need to revise GLEP39 so much as point out
24 how it has been working in practice, comment on it, or clarify its
25 meaning. I suppose if somebody else takes strong objection they can
26 lead the constitutional rebellion. :)
29 Rich