From: Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] RFC: GLEP - Require Projects to report to Council Monthly
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2017 01:04:48
1 On Thu, 19 Jan 2017 15:24:23 -0800
2 Patrick McLean <chutzpah@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > This is an all volunteer organization, we should refrain from making
5 > any sort of regular "mandatory" actions. Since no one is paid, we can't
6 > have any specific expectations of when people have time to spend on
7 > Gentoo. I would also have someone with limited time spending their time
8 > working on bugs etc rather than writing a monthly report.
9
10 Gentoo does have some mandatory expectations of developers.
11
12 But these seem to frequently serve as a barrier to development, and such
13 mandatory controls are typically employed as gate-keepers.
14
15 I would rather have only as many of these as is absolutely necessary.
18 > Even at companies, where people are paid to work, engineers are not
19 > generally expected to provide status reports to management. That is
20 > generally the job of a _paid_ project manager or _paid_ manager.
21
22 I wish that was true, but like, that's an expectation of a *good* company
23 that is well run.
24
25 But my observation is too few companies meet any definition of "good".