From: Patrick McLean <chutzpah@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] RFC: GLEP - Require Projects to report to Council Monthly
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2017 23:24:38
1 On Thu, 19 Jan 2017 17:50:38 -0500
2 "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com> wrote:
3 > > All my framing concerns itself with is assigning the responsibility
4 > > for this interaction towards the recipient, and making it clear
5 > > from the nature of the interaction that feedback is regularly
6 > > wanted, but not mandatory.
7 >
8 > I am suggesting projects should have a mandatory requirement to
9 > provide monthly status. If they meet, they have this already in any
10 > minutes or log. May require a summation. If they do not meet, someone
11 > can gather the info up to each project/team. It would take
12 > considerably less time for someone on the project/team to provide a
13 > summary. Than for another person to come poll each person in the team
14 > for the same information. It will take less time to come from within.
15
16 This is an all volunteer organization, we should refrain from making
17 any sort of regular "mandatory" actions. Since no one is paid, we can't
18 have any specific expectations of when people have time to spend on
19 Gentoo. I would also have someone with limited time spending their time
20 working on bugs etc rather than writing a monthly report.
21
22 Even at companies, where people are paid to work, engineers are not
23 generally expected to provide status reports to management. That is
24 generally the job of a _paid_ project manager or _paid_ manager.