From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: Patrick McLean <chutzpah@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] RFC: GLEP - Require Projects to report to Council Monthly
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2017 02:45:19
1 On Thursday, January 19, 2017 3:24:23 PM EST Patrick McLean wrote:
2 >
3 > This is an all volunteer organization, we should refrain from making
4 > any sort of regular "mandatory" actions.
5
6 I am quite aware. I really do not think the obvious need be stated. Also it is
7 a bit ridiculous to think volunteer organizations do not have any sort of
8 mandatory requirements on volunteers.
9
10 If you volunteer for say the RedCross. They will assign you tasks and duties,
11 if not when to show up, etc. Very few volunteer efforts are just show up do
12 what ever, when ever. At minimum you will have a time to report, how long you
13 will be there, etc. Not to mention leaders and people organizing the tasks.
14
15 There are volunteer fire departments. Should they not be required to do
16 anything? I think its silly to say a volunteer should not be required to do
17 anything.
18
19 > Since no one is paid, we can't
20 > have any specific expectations of when people have time to spend on
21 > Gentoo.
22
23 Some are paid to work on Gentoo in some capacity or another. Others are self
24 employed, so their time comes more at a direct cost. Where someone who is
25 employed would be doing it in their spare time outside of their paying job.
26 Others may be students etc. I have seen many people use it on resumes and
27 further their career. Acting like people have no personal benefit or interest
28 is also silly.
29
30 Now I am not suggesting it be done on any mandatory schedule. If a project
31 leader or member cannot take ~5-10 minutes a month to inform say the world.
32 Then I think that reflects more on their own time management. This is not
33 really asking much. Nor would it require much time at all.
34
35 Council members are expected to meet, etc. That is much more of a time
36 requirement. Requiring projects to report is minimal. Trivial if they have
37 monthly meetings.
38
39 > I would also have someone with limited time spending their time
40 > working on bugs etc rather than writing a monthly report.
41
42 If bugs could be fixed in 5-10 minutes, I think most would not exist. Many tend
43 to require more time. Also tremendous time was spent before on the GWN. This
44 is subsets of data that was in that. Which could really help others say on the
45 News project. Allowing them to spend less time on getting pertinent data. What
46 you may see as a loss of time and focus. Can also be beneficial to other
47 projects saving them time, and allow more bugs to get fixed, etc.
48
49 Your also missing entire that such reporting can help people outside of Gentoo
50 gain more interest in Gentoo. If they know what is going on. You want bugs
51 fixed? Would more people not potentially mean more bugs are fixed faster? Or
52 rather expect more time from the existing pool?
53
54 This is in part to grow Gentoo.
55
56 > Even at companies, where people are paid to work, engineers are not
57 > generally expected to provide status reports to management. That is
58 > generally the job of a _paid_ project manager or _paid_ manager.
59
60 I am not imposing that leaders be required for such. But leaders once upon a
61 time in Gentoo were called managers. Is there really a problem with asking
62 leaders to inform other leaders? How is the council supposed to know what is
63 going on in each project otherwise? How can the council make any global
64 decisions without global information?
65
66 That said projects are already required to do things now.
67
68 "A project exists if it has a maintained Wiki project page as described below.
69 ("Maintained" means that the information on the page is factually correct and
70 not out-of-date.) If the Wiki page isn't maintained, it is presumed dead."
71 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GLEP:39
72
73 That could be saying that if the wiki page is not maintained the wiki page is
74 dead. However that it starts with saying a project exists if it has a
75 maintained wiki page. Makes it clear that it is mandatory to maintain a wiki
76 page or the project is presumed dead.
77
78 Maintaining a project wiki page is in a sense a form of reporting. A project
79 page is not necessary technical documentation and very few provide technical
80 information. Project pages serve as information on the project, its members,
81 duties etc. Thus projects already have mandatory requirements.
82
83 Such reporting could be used and part of a projects home page which would help
84 the project meet its requirements under GLEP 39.
87 William L. Thomson Jr.