From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] RFC: GLEP - Require Projects to report to Council Monthly
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2017 22:50:48
1 On Friday, January 20, 2017 11:21:07 AM EST Kent Fredric wrote:
2 >
3 > Right. I suspect we're probably closer to the same page than we think
4 > overall, just your initial statements seemed to give me the wrong subtext,
5 > and I wanted to steer clear away from it.
6
7 The more you understand the intent and context you will likely find yourself
8 more on the same page. Just read the GLEP its pretty simple.
9
10 > There will still be a person or persons submitting data, and there will
11 > be a person or persons receiving and collating that data.
12
13 That should be up to each project, ideally the team lead but that is up to
14 each. Who in the project creates and submits the report to council is moot.
15
16 > All my framing concerns itself with is assigning the responsibility for this
17 > interaction towards the recipient, and making it clear from the nature of
18 > the interaction that feedback is regularly wanted, but not mandatory.
19
20 I am suggesting projects should have a mandatory requirement to provide
21 monthly status. If they meet, they have this already in any minutes or log.
22 May require a summation. If they do not meet, someone can gather the info up
23 to each project/team. It would take considerably less time for someone on the
24 project/team to provide a summary. Than for another person to come poll each
25 person in the team for the same information. It will take less time to come
26 from within.
27
28 I am not suggesting or discussing penalties. I would simply hope that saying
29 something is mandatory. People understanding it has VERY minimal requirements
30 and overhead. That they would understand the benefit and be onboard so its not
31 a big deal.
32
33 No reason to make it into a big deal and go off on punishment, etc. I hate
34 that line of thinking. I rather people understand the benefits and partake
35 because of such.
36
37 > By "displayed in bulk", if I was unclear, the idea was to be able to have a
38 > global "Gentoo Right now" status page where one could just skim-read through
39 > all the given statuses, ( maybe sort them by freshness )
40
41 Which again this could feed into that. You will still need some brief info on
42 each project. Again easier and more efficient to come from within than poll from
43 outside involving more people and time.
44
45 > Commit stats could be displayed on the side, but I wouldn't consider them
46 > the most important part of this design, it would just be a bit of polish
47 > on the finished product, mostly because the signal it gives from the
48 > overview of all of gentoo is very weak, and doesn't really tell you much
49 > more than "alive/dead" ( and of course, not all projects even have commit
50 > data )
51
52 Commits show activity but not much more. Thus you need to speak to someone or
53 have them provide information on what they and others they work with have been
54 up to. It is not much.
57 William L. Thomson Jr.