From: Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] RFC: GLEP - Require Projects to report to Council Monthly
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2017 22:22:13
1 On Thu, 19 Jan 2017 16:59:09 -0500
2 "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Friday, January 20, 2017 10:39:49 AM EST Kent Fredric wrote:
5 > >
6 > > The framing here is that this structure is a stick to keep everyone in line,
7 > > and that the beatings shall continue to drive up morale.
8 >
9 > You are taking this completely out of context.
10
11 > The reports I am suggesting, could be linked into the status board your
12 > suggesting. So your basically proposing the same thing in a different way.
13
14 Right. I suspect we're probably closer to the same page than we think overall,
15 just your initial statements seemed to give me the wrong subtext, and I wanted
16 to steer clear away from it.
17
18 > Oh yes, create more positions and roles no one wants to fulfill. Are you going
19 > to do that? Just another area/project/team to be understaffed. FYI this is
20 > what used to happen as part of the newsletter.
21
22 There will still be a person or persons submitting data, and there will
23 be a person or persons receiving and collating that data.
24
25 All my framing concerns itself with is assigning the responsibility for this
26 interaction towards the recipient, and making it clear from the nature of the
27 interaction that feedback is regularly wanted, but not mandatory.
28
29 > > As an adjunct, it might also be useful to have some sort of active "status
30 > > board" for different projects that can be edited by anyone easily and can
31 > > easily be displayed in bulk, and not have any real requirements on its
32 > > frequency of change.
33 >
34 > That is something that could be programmed into wiki pages for each project
35 > tracking commit activity. However it would still not tell you where the
36 > project/team is going or information about its activities.
37
38 By "displayed in bulk", if I was unclear, the idea was to be able to have a
39 global "Gentoo Right now" status page where one could just skim-read through
40 all the given statuses, ( maybe sort them by freshness )
41
42 Commit stats could be displayed on the side, but I wouldn't consider them
43 the most important part of this design, it would just be a bit of polish
44 on the finished product, mostly because the signal it gives from the overview
45 of all of gentoo is very weak, and doesn't really tell you much more
46 than "alive/dead" ( and of course, not all projects even have commit data )
49 > > And for groups who want to bother to sit down and have meetings,
50 > > brief outcomes from those meetings could be part of that status board,
51 > > perhaps with longer contents in links.
52 >
53 > That is in part what I am suggesting in a report provided to the council.
54 >
55 > The reports I am suggesting, could be linked into the status board your
56 > suggesting. So your basically proposing the same thing in a different way.