From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] RFC: GLEP - Require Projects to report to Council Monthly
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2017 21:59:15
1 On Friday, January 20, 2017 10:39:49 AM EST Kent Fredric wrote:
2 >
3 > The framing here is that this structure is a stick to keep everyone in line,
4 > and that the beatings shall continue to drive up morale.
5
6 You are taking this completely out of context.
7
8 Your repeated comments on beatings and morale, makes me some what question
9 your line of thinking. More so given how you are completely misreading and
10 making your own interpretation of things not even written in the GLEP.
11
12 > I'd rather a more informal structure, where somebody is appointed the task
13 > of polling the different projects and asking them questions like:
14
15 Oh yes, create more positions and roles no one wants to fulfill. Are you going
16 to do that? Just another area/project/team to be understaffed. FYI this is
17 what used to happen as part of the newsletter.
18
19 > As an adjunct, it might also be useful to have some sort of active "status
20 > board" for different projects that can be edited by anyone easily and can
21 > easily be displayed in bulk, and not have any real requirements on its
22 > frequency of change.
23
24 That is something that could be programmed into wiki pages for each project
25 tracking commit activity. However it would still not tell you where the
26 project/team is going or information about its activities.
27
28 > And for groups who want to bother to sit down and have meetings,
29 > brief outcomes from those meetings could be part of that status board,
30 > perhaps with longer contents in links.
31
32 That is in part what I am suggesting in a report provided to the council.
33
34 The reports I am suggesting, could be linked into the status board your
35 suggesting. So your basically proposing the same thing in a different way.
38 William L. Thomson Jr.