From: Dean Stephens <desultory@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] RFC: GLEP - Require Projects to report to Council Monthly
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2017 03:27:49
1 On 01/19/17 17:50, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
2 > I am suggesting projects should have a mandatory requirement to provide
3 > monthly status. If they meet, they have this already in any minutes or log.
4 > May require a summation. If they do not meet, someone can gather the info up
5 > to each project/team. It would take considerably less time for someone on the
6 > project/team to provide a summary. Than for another person to come poll each
7 > person in the team for the same information. It will take less time to come
8 > from within.
9 >
10 > I am not suggesting or discussing penalties. I would simply hope that saying
11 > something is mandatory. People understanding it has VERY minimal requirements
12 > and overhead. That they would understand the benefit and be onboard so its not
13 > a big deal.
14 >
15 > No reason to make it into a big deal and go off on punishment, etc. I hate
16 > that line of thinking. I rather people understand the benefits and partake
17 > because of such.
18 >
19 Just to point out, part of, why people are interpreting this as they
20 are: you frame it as a requirement, even a "mandatory requirement",
21 without specifying what recourse, if any, there is if such requirements
22 are not met. This implicitly leaves the default mechanisms in place, as
23 has been discussed elsewhere. A requirement with no enforcement,
24 especially one which explicitly avoids enforcement is a suggestion, or
25 request, not a requirement.
26
27 Not that I find no other faults with the proposal as a whole.