From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] RFC: GLEP - Require Projects to report to Council Monthly
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2017 05:13:05
1 On Friday, January 20, 2017 10:27:34 PM EST Dean Stephens wrote:
2 >
3 > Just to point out, part of, why people are interpreting this as they
4 > are: you frame it as a requirement, even a "mandatory requirement",
5 > without specifying what recourse, if any, there is if such requirements
6 > are not met.
7
8 I can understand that perspective. I am more of the mindset of not having
9 recourse. I am not a fan of punishment. If projects repeatedly do not do it,
10 oh well. That is their choice, just not encouraged.
11
12 > This implicitly leaves the default mechanisms in place, as
13 > has been discussed elsewhere. A requirement with no enforcement,
14 > especially one which explicitly avoids enforcement is a suggestion, or
15 > request, not a requirement.
16
17 By stating mandatory the idea is to encourage it to be considered something
18 that should be done and not ignored. I would think non-compliance to be more
19 egg on face of leaders or members. Not a punishable offense.
22 William L. Thomson Jr.