From: Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] RFC: GLEP - Require Projects to report to Council Monthly
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2017 15:54:05
1 On Sat, 21 Jan 2017 00:12:57 -0500
2 "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > > Just to point out, part of, why people are interpreting this as they
5 > > are: you frame it as a requirement, even a "mandatory requirement",
6 > > without specifying what recourse, if any, there is if such requirements
7 > > are not met.
8 >
9 > I can understand that perspective. I am more of the mindset of not having
10 > recourse. I am not a fan of punishment. If projects repeatedly do not do it,
11 > oh well. That is their choice, just not encouraged.
12
13 I think that's possibly what confused me.
14
15 Terms like "Promoted", "Encouraged", "Recommended" are probably closer
16 to your perspective in that they convey being "Very strong indications that
17 a thing should be done", instead of "An indication a thing _must_ be done".
18
19 Because indicating _must_ does imply definitive actionable consequences for
20 non-compliance.
21
22 Where's the others only imply that somebody might bend your arm and give you
23 a conversation if compliance is not met.
24
25 And then you can term the failure to comply as an opposite:
26
27 "Neglecting to report is strongly discouraged"
28
29 Whereas if you say "mandatory"/"must", then the opposites are
30
31 "must not", and "forbidden"