From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] RFC: GLEP - Require Projects to report to Council Monthly
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2017 17:03:08
1 On Sunday, January 22, 2017 4:53:24 AM EST Kent Fredric wrote:
2 > On Sat, 21 Jan 2017 00:12:57 -0500
3 >
4 > "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com> wrote:
5 > > > Just to point out, part of, why people are interpreting this as they
6 > > > are: you frame it as a requirement, even a "mandatory requirement",
7 > > > without specifying what recourse, if any, there is if such requirements
8 > > > are not met.
9 > >
10 > > I can understand that perspective. I am more of the mindset of not having
11 > > recourse. I am not a fan of punishment. If projects repeatedly do not do
12 > > it, oh well. That is their choice, just not encouraged.
13 >
14 > I think that's possibly what confused me.
15
16 Yes because the attitude around here is one of punishment rather than
17 encouragement. If someone is misbehaving, punish rather than encourage to
18 behave different. Things are very twisted IMHO.
19
20 If a project fails to report, punish rather than help. I rather help!
21
22 > Terms like "Promoted", "Encouraged", "Recommended" are probably closer
23 > to your perspective in that they convey being "Very strong indications that
24 > a thing should be done", instead of "An indication a thing _must_ be done".
25
26 Yes but then makes it more optional. It is best if people consider it
27 something that must be done. Then others will hopefully help out if not done.
28
29 > Because indicating _must_ does imply definitive actionable consequences for
30 > non-compliance.
31
32 My idea of consequences is very different. For example say a project cannot
33 report. The council notices this and inquires with the project. How can we
34 help? Do you need staff? Are you unable to do the report just this month or
35 every? Where can we help?
36
37 I look at non-compliance as more a friendly thing than malicious. Thus should
38 be friendly in helping to comply.
39
40 > Where's the others only imply that somebody might bend your arm and give you
41 > a conversation if compliance is not met.
42
43 Yes because there is a horrible atmosphere and attitude around Gentoo these
44 days. I am not of that mindset or perspective. I never have been.
47 William L. Thomson Jr.