From: Joonas Niilola <juippis@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Council meeting 2021-07-11 - call for agenda items
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2021 11:40:38
1 On 7.7.2021 4.59, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Mon, Jul 5, 2021 at 5:20 AM Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> The agenda is still open for additional items that the council should
5 >> discuss or vote on. For agenda items, please respond to this message
6 >> on the gentoo-project mailing list.
9 > Short version of request: can action be taken to re-align IRC nicks
10 > with Gentoo uids? (Those with common sense should stop reading here.)
11
12 At first I wasn't sure if you asked this seriously, due to
13
14 > (FWIW, it is getting late, and some items above are intended as
15 > genuine humor because not everything around here needs to be grim.
16
17 But looks like you are.
18
19 I'm not opposing the idea, but I also don't like it that some org I
20 volunteer for starts controlling how I should behave everywhere. I IRC
21 on other channels beside Gentoo. If this suggestion goes through, we
22 might as well set up our own irc.gentoo.org network, or some of us are
23 forced to connect to Libera with 2 different clients/nicks.
24
25 Yes, finding bman or dilfridge from IRC lately has been difficult. But
26 if they choose to make it difficult, you can always catch them via e-mail.
27
28 Maybe, as you suggested, there could be an LDAP entry for IRC nick which
29 then gets automatically queried into wiki page? But for sure not
30 everyone will be updating that either, and maybe this could also be opt-in.
31
32 I just think the price is too high for the benefits. There's life
33 outside Gentoo.
34
35 -- juippis

OpenPGP_signature.asc application/pgp-signature