From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-project] Re: Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2013-04-09
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2013 16:54:56
1 >>>>> On Wed, 3 Apr 2013, Ralph Sennhauser wrote:
2
3 > I feel strongly against starting with anything but EAPI 0. And I
4 > don't consider EAPI 4 old enough to start pestering maintainers
5 > about it.
6
7 > What we need is a live cycle of EAPIs to keep things manageable in
8 > the long run. We aren't under pressure to get rid of as many as
9 > possible ASAP. A simple scheme could be
10
11 > - EAPI becomes second latest
12 > - 5 years later repoman warns.
13 > - 2 years later repoman errors out.
14
15 To start with some numbers, here are the Portage versions
16 corresponding to EAPIs, together with their stabilisation dates:
17
18 EAPI approved Portage version stable on all arches
19 (0) 2.0.53 (*) 2005-12-26
20 1 2.1.3.19 2007-12-11
21 2 2008-09-25 2.1.6.4 2009-01-08
22 3 2010-01-18 2.1.7.17 2010-03-08
23 4 2011-01-17 2.1.9.42 2011-03-17
24 5 2012-09-20 2.1.11.31 2012-12-11
25
26 (*) First EAPI aware Portage version
27
28 An EAPI becomes second latest when the following EAPI becomes stable
29 on all architectures. For example, EAPI 3 went stable at 2010-03-08
30 and EAPI 2 became second latest at the same day.
31
32 I agree with Francesco and Zac though, that support for 5 or even 7
33 year old systems isn't realistic at all. IMHO, we should go for an
34 intermediate time frame like 3 years (maybe 4, if we want to be very
35 conservative) for EAPI deprecation. This would limit the number of
36 EAPIs in active use to not more than four or five.
37
38 > With that scheme EAPI=0 would be due soon. As the "bump to latest
39 > eapi" policy isn't that old and seems to have only sunk in a about a
40 > year ago, and the myth of still requiring system packages to be
41 > EAPI=0 kept a lot of the tree at EAPI=0 for a long time. Fact is
42 > EAPI 0 ebuilds are still many, though the number started to crumble
43 > significantly lately. So waiting another year before starting
44 > actively warn might be appropriate.
45
46 I'd be a little more proactive and deprecate EAPIs 0 and 1 immediately
47 (which would correspond to the 4 years mentioned above). When doing a
48 version or revision bump, the ebuild should be updated to use a newer
49 EAPI. There can be exceptions, e.g. for security bumps.
50
51 > The important thing is for the council to declare intent and
52 > timeframe, so maintainers can plan far ahead. The other thing that
53 > became apparent from last discussion is that a slightly low EAPI
54 > shouldn't be a card blanch for zealots to touch packages they don't
55 > maintain or to file bugs about it.
56
57 Right, there's nothing wrong with existing ebuilds using EAPI 3 or 4,
58 unless you need a newer feature like subslots.
59
60 Ulrich