From: Raymond Jennings <shentino@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Trying to become a Gentoo Developer again spanning 8 years...
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2016 01:40:12
1 What if the "chief architect" were elected democratically?
2
3 On Tue, Oct 4, 2016 at 11:40 AM, William L. Thomson Jr.
4 <wlt-ml@××××××.com> wrote:
5 > On Tuesday, October 4, 2016 7:34:26 PM EDT Paweł Hajdan, Jr. wrote:
6 >> On 04/10/16 06:26, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
7 >> > Which then leads to the question, who leads Gentoo? Where is
8 >> Gentoo going
9 >> > if neither Foundation nor Council sets the direction?
10 >>
11 >> I don't think we have direction in a Chief Architect sense. I
12 >> believe it
13 >> has some drawbacks.
14 >
15 > Everything does, but most successful projects and companies tend to
16 > have
17 > singular leadership. Gentoo was created and rose to popularity under
18 > a Chief
19 > Architect structure. The experiment in more Democratic Utopian
20 > structure may
21 > be responsible for its decline in popularity.
22 >
23 > For most things returning to your roots is not always a bad thing.
24 > Many go
25 > through identity and organization crisis. Look at Apple without Steve
26 > Jobs
27 > return. Had Apple never brought him back, where would the company be
28 > now?
29 >
30 >> Could you elaborate more how do you see leadership in a volunteer
31 >> organization like Gentoo?
32 >
33 > Many do not like it, but I have always compared it to something like
34 > the
35 > RedCross. That had a mix of paid and unpaid positions.
36 >
37 > I HAVE NO INTEREST IN PAYING MYSELF then or now!!!
38 >
39 > That being said, I feel Gentoo could benefit from some paid stuff,
40 > like say a
41 > monthly news letter, maybe aspects of infra, staff, etc.
42 >
43 > When people are 100% volunteers, I think it makes direction hard. How
44 > can I
45 > tell you what needs to be done? Will you even care? Will you spend
46 > YOUR time
47 > to make changes I want to have happen?
48 >
49 > In the perspective of say a Cheif Architect but could be the council.
50 > Say the
51 > council wants Java to move a given direction. Who will do the work?
52 > Even if we
53 > agree it needs to be done. Someone has to do it, and sometimes that
54 > may fall
55 > to someone paid vs volunteer. After all a paid person if they do not
56 > do as
57 > requested/told. They are no longer paid and someone else is... You
58 > cannot
59 > treat volunteers as such. You cannot expect things from a volunteer,
60 > only be
61 > thankful for their contributions.
62 >
63 > Now saying this is very precarious. Who gets paid, how much, etc.
64 > Tons of
65 > details to be worked out. It was just ideas I had long ago when I had
66 > more
67 > interest in participating in the foundation. Now most my ideas or just
68 > utopian. If others want to make them happen, I can share all my ideas
69 > and
70 > thoughts. But I do not see myself going down that path again. It was
71 > VERY bad
72 > for me.
73 >
74 > Regardless of the paying aspect. Gentoo needs a unified leadership,
75 > that does
76 > not change year after year, that has long term strategy and plans in
77 > mind.
78 > What is best for Gentoo over 5, 10, 20 years. Like FreeBSD having
79 > been around
80 > for some ~30 years.
81 >
82 > Most any company, nation, etc has terms for their leaders beyond a
83 > single
84 > year. Direction would flip flop to much to swap out leadership.
85 >
86 > It may be best to have a chief architect and some top levels that do
87 > not
88 > change. Then a council below, who can pass on community things, so
89 > there is a
90 > balance between community and leadership on direction.
91 >
92 > But what if a council decisions is not liked, Can you appeal that? I
93 > think
94 > having a head of any organization can help solve many problems. That
95 > sometimes
96 > groups cannot. At the same time it can create many more problems just
97 > the
98 > same. But most companies have 1 president, 1 CEO, and that is for a
99 > reason.
100 > The board tends to work with them, but they tend to be ultimately
101 > responsible.
102 >
103 > I also do not see anything uniting say Foundation/Trustees and
104 > Council other
105 > than some sort of head to the leadership. It could be the Trustees
106 > are placed
107 > over, as they are not, the officers. A CEO position or Chief
108 > Architect may be
109 > created to be beneath the Trustees/Foundation, but above the Council.
110 >
111 > Something so Gentoo has 1 unified head that works together
112 > collectively. Rather
113 > than in their own silos.
114 >
115 >> > Gentoo get's it first in an overlay rather than in tree. If he
116 >> was a
117 >> > developer. Gentoo would get it in tree before every distro,
118 >> including
119 >> > Fedora, and RedHat, Paid for by RedHat.... How is that not a good
120 >> thing?
121 >>
122 >> I'd be all for such technical contribution, which I see would be
123 >> much
124 >> more effective having direct commit rights.
125 >
126 > I think in cases, there should be exceptions to the recruiting
127 > process. Which
128 > Dr Andrew John Hughes would be such an exception.
129 >
130 > Working on a single ebuild, but a VERY large, complex and important
131 > one,
132 > IcedTea/OpenJDK for every Linux distro.... Having him committing that
133 > directly
134 > on Gentoo may attract more that are wanting to take part in the
135 > development of
136 > the Java JDK itself.
137 >
138 >> I'm not sure if it's really all-or-nothing there. It may be
139 >> feasible to
140 >> become a Gentoo developer and make Java on Gentoo great again, but
141 >> put
142 >> aside the attempt to fix everything you disagree with in Gentoo at
143 >> least
144 >> for a while (even where I think you do have a good point). As just
145 >> an
146 >> observer, I don't see both things being possible at this moment
147 >> though.
148 >
149 > I am not out to change all of Gentoo. Even if I regain status as a
150 > developer
151 > my focus is just on technical stuff. I have no incentive for the rest
152 > and it
153 > cost me quite allot over the years. I am not eager to repeat or even
154 > chance
155 > such.
156 >
157 > That said, Gentoo has needed, and does need desperately need major
158 > change.
159 > Though over the years most are ok with status quo and not eager to
160 > make major
161 > changes, if they feel they are even necessary.
162 >
163 > Fixing things in any 1 area is great, but if not addressing larger
164 > issues as a
165 > whole. It will just be chasing and putting out fires rather than
166 > really moving
167 > things forward.
168 >
169 > --