From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Gentoo, GitHub, and the Social Contract
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2015 21:56:22
1 On Sat, Feb 14, 2015 at 4:42 PM, Kristian Fiskerstrand <k_f@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > That depends on where the primary repository of the project lies.
4 > Whether it is primary on gentoo infra or if GitHub is de-facto primary
5 > repository. If the latter it is a problem.
8 Well, as far as I'm concerned, the primary repository for Gentoo is
9 the one on my PC, because that is the only one I actually directly
10 commit to. For the typical user, the primary repository is whatever
11 tarball they last webrsync'ed from, since that is the one containing
12 all the bugs they're currently suffering through. The whole concept
13 of a "primary repository" is somewhat diminished these days. :)
14
15 But, sure, in general I'd prefer if something hosted by infra is
16 up-to-date. One of the challenges is that infra is only staffed to do
17 so much, and it seems like everybody wants to do far more. It doesn't
18 help that a lot of the fancier stuff tends to be harder to maintain on
19 servers, although I'm not sure if that is because we tend to update
20 them in place (I am not a professional sysadmin, but the ones I talk
21 to seem to avoid doing that much these days).
24 Rich