From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2016-12-11
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2016 16:51:58
1 On 12/09/16 13:54, Aaron Bauman wrote:
4 > On 12/03/2016 03:22 AM, Mart Raudsepp wrote:
5 >> Ühel kenal päeval, R, 02.12.2016 kell 15:44, kirjutas Agostino Sarubbo:
6 >>> On Friday 02 December 2016 23:17:13 Aaron Bauman wrote:
7 >>>> I would like the council to consider dropping IA-64 and SPARC from
8 >>>> the
9 >>>> supported list of stable architectures to increase the security
10 >>>> posture
11 >>>> of the tree.
12 >>> I would like to ask to keep the things as is.
13 >>>
14 >>> The slowdown is caused from the fact that there are no rules for the
15 >>> stabilization requests.
16 >>> We (kensington mainly + wg-stable group) are working to have more
17 >>> automations.
18 >> He is talking about security stabilization bugs here.
19 >>
20 >> I don't understand why stable and security stable have to be connected,
21 >> and why fringe arches are considered stopping the drafting and send-out
22 >> of GLSA. The tooling could special case ia64 and sparc to tell that
23 >> it's not marked stable there yet or whatever when it isn't yet. The
24 >> dozen users will know what to do.
25 >
26 > They must be connected, because we cannot properly clean the tree if
27 > they are not. Otherwise, we would break the dependency tree. As long
28 > as the packages are marked stable, we can somewhat ensure that users
29 > will not be exposed to vulnerable code, but not entirely. We cannot
30 > publish a GLSA if there is no stable upgrade path for the user either.
31 > Why would that be acceptable? Given a "dozen users will know what to
32 > do," then why build tooling for such a small audience? If they know
33 > what to do, then we should expect that they will know what to do without
34 > being a stable arch.
35 >
36 ... why?
37
38 I mean: there *is* a security issue, so better tell me about it now so I
39 can apply workarounds (e.g. disabling services) instead of waiting an
40 unbounded time until it is stable on all architectures (why do I care
41 about architecture X lagging?) and then telling me that I was exposed
42 for the last dozen timeunits.
43
44 From my point of view it is rather confusing ...