From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] RFC: GLEP - Require Projects to report to Council Monthly
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2017 16:16:14
1 On Sunday, January 22, 2017 10:39:04 AM EST Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Fri, Jan 20, 2017 at 10:00 AM, William L. Thomson Jr.
3 >
4 > <wlt-ml@××××××.com> wrote:
5 > > Does anyone know whats going on in say Gentoo Java? As another example.
6 >
7 > Do we really need to make every project issue a monthly report just to
8 > notice that the Java team can't keep up with monthly reports?
9
10 Java was JUST an example. There is no Java team really and has not been for
11 years. I would think that to a topic of concern for the council. Though seems
12 to extend beyond just Java.
13
14 The council should be aware and concerned if areas of Gentoo are going
15 neglected. So should the community. But this is not about showing neglect.
16 This is more about active projects, than inactive.
17
18 At the same time, if areas are going neglected, people are aware yet do
19 nothing. What does that say? People are surely not drawn to neglected
20 technical projects.
21
22 > I think
23 > the last 300 emails you've sent out have already driven home the
24 > message that you think more people should be working on Java.
25
26 More people should be working on Gentoo. Java is just one area of neglect for
27 some time. That is NOT the only area.
30 William L. Thomson Jr.