From: "M. J. Everitt" <m.j.everitt@×××.org>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2018-05-13
Date: Thu, 03 May 2018 15:05:53
1 On 03/05/18 13:43, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Thu, May 3, 2018 at 7:43 AM Raymond Jennings <shentino@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 >> Does the council have the information it needs to monitor the health
5 >> of the project as a whole?
6 >
7 > And what would be done with this information?
8 >
9 > I'm sure the games metrics would be dismal, as would be the metrics for
10 > many categories. I suspect you already believe this as well, as do most of
11 > the Council members. So, what is the point of this exercise?
12 >
13 > It isn't like you need some kind of special access to analyze our
14 > bugs/commits. Everything is open. If somebody wants to post the metrics
15 > they should feel free to do so. Do we need the Council to vote on a
16 > resolution "encouraging members of the community to post metrics for
17 > projects they are interested in, including games, or create tools to
18 > automate this?"
19 >
20 > The problem isn't measuring activity within categories. The problem is
21 > doing anything about it.
22 >
23 > Also, I'd again like to point out that games != packages maintained by
24 > games@g.o, since it seems like we spent an inordinate amount of time trying
25 > to break this connection in previous years. You don't need permission from
26 > the games alias to maintain a game, just as you don't need permission from
27 > the python alias to maintain a package that uses python, or permission from
28 > the openrc alias to install an init.d script for a package. So, if
29 > somebody is interested in metrics on games I wouldn't measure it based on
30 > packages/bugs assigned to games@g.o, unless you're interested very
31 > specifically in things like the games eclass and so on.
32 >
33 +1 well put.