From: Sebastian Pipping <sping@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] gentoo dev map info
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 05:34:41
1 On 02/23/2011 06:37 PM, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Wed, 23 Feb 2011 11:59:56 +0200
3 > Alex Alexander <wired@g.o> wrote:
4 >> Yes, some types of humor should be avoided to prevent cultural
5 >> misunderstandings.
6 > <snip>
7 >> That way we can improve our public image and users are less likely to
8 >> get the wrong impression and/or get offended :)
9 >
10 > Quite right too. I think the best thing Gentoo can do right now to
11 > improve its public image is to publish a twenty page dress code for
12 > what developers should wear when appearing at conventions. After all,
13 > some people find some types of clothing offensive, and Gentoo cannot be
14 > seen as the type of project that allows developers to wear jeans in
15 > public.
16
17 While that's rational in a way, it misses something that may match the
18 word empathy, though I'm not 100% sure if that words is what I mean inside.
19
20 I guess Gentoo missed to set a tone (that at least I would like better)
21 when the project was still young. If I'm interpreting Karl Fogel
22 correctly, then we may well be damned with the current tone forever:
23
24 "This effort is aided by the fact that people generally show up
25 expecting and looking for social norms. That's just how humans are
26 built. In any group unified by a common endeavor, people who join
27 instinctively search for behaviors that will mark them as part of
28 the group. The goal of setting precedents early is to make those
29 "in-group" behaviors be ones that are useful to the project; for
30 once established, they will be largely self-perpetuating."
31 (from http://producingoss.com/en/setting-tone.html
32
33 So I guess I'll just try to be welcoming and friendly myself and leave
34 the rest of Gentoo's tone alone, mostly. When it get's unbarable, I'll
35 just quit: in small (selected mediums or channels) or big (the whole
36 project).
37
38 Best,
42 Sebastian