From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2018-10-14
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2018 17:49:40
1 >>>>> On Thu, 11 Oct 2018, Brian Dolbec wrote:
2
3 > My employer sponsors a lot of Gentoo ebuild and project work. We are
4 > currently waiting for approval from the legal department to be able to
5 > continue after the Glep 76 approval and subsequent enforcement. It
6 > very well may include a requirement to include a company copyright
7 > notice for the work done on comapny time and equipment.
8
9 > I have prepared a patch to repoman which fully implements Glep 76. [1]
10 > It adds a COPYRIGHT_OWNER variable to make.conf which can be set.
11 > The COPYRIGHT_OWNER is only ever ensured (possibly added) to the
12 > existing copyright line if the --copyright option is given on the cli.
13 > It is also used to generate a new copyright line if one did not exist.
14
15 As I've already commented in the pull request [1], I think this isn't
16 something that should be automated in a QA tool like repoman.
17
18 IMHO, repoman should accept both forms of the copyright notice, as long
19 as they're syntactically well-formed. Otherwise, it should leave the
20 copyright holder alone (with the possible exception of updating Gentoo
21 Foundation to Gentoo Authors).
22
23 > This option should only ever be used for significant changes to an
24 > ebuild.
25
26 Right, but I think there is the danger that the feature will be abused,
27 e.g. that people will use it also for non-copyrightable changes.
28
29 Also see my reply to bircoph's posting. The copyright notice has a
30 very specific purpose. It should neither be mistaken as an authors'
31 attribution, not should it be abused as a "scent mark".
32
33 > I could extend it to include a --others option to append the "and
34 > others" to the copyright. But I don't know if that will be used enough
35 > to justify the extra code.
36
37 > This patch also makes repoman more friendly for downstream repositiries
38 > which could set the copyright apropriately without manual editing.
39
40 > [1] https://github.com/gentoo/portage/pull/376