From: Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2018-10-14
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2018 15:12:15
1 On Thu, 11 Oct 2018 15:31:39 +0300
2 Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Wed, 10 Oct 2018 09:43:52 +0200 Ulrich Mueller wrote:
5 > > >>>>> On Sun, 30 Sep 2018, Sergei Trofimovich wrote:
6 > >
7 > > > Hello all!
8 > > > 14 October (in 2 weeks from now)
9 > > > at 19:00 UTC Council will meet again.
10 > >
11 > > > Please provide agenda items you would like council@ to
12 > > > look at (and act) as a reply to this email.
13 > >
14 > > The new copyright policy (GLEP 76) leaves it to projects to decide
15 > > whether they use the long form or the simplified form of the
16 > > copyright attribution. I would like to ask the council to decide
17 > > that the simplified attribution [1] shall be used for ebuilds in
18 > > the Gentoo repository.
19 >
20 > I'd like to voice strongly against this motion.
21 >
22 > Rationale:
23 >
24 > - We have out of the Gentoo repository ebuilds which may be
25 > incorporated in the main repository and are licensed properly but
26 > an author requires his copyright in the first line to be preserved.
27 > GPL-2 allows us to use such ebuilds, but our past copyright policy
28 > mandating "Gentoo Foundation" doesn't, as well as proposed motion
29 > which mandates "Gentoo Authors" instead of the list of authors
30 > including main author if they require so.
31 >
32 > - GLEP 76 already did significant harm to our community by
33 > outlawing current anonymous or pseudonymous contributions. Moreover
34 > we have people who want to join community, but keep their identity
35 > hidden. This is understandable, especially for security or privacy
36 > oriented software. The harm should go no further. We have a lot of
37 > talks how we need more developers, but what we are doing in many
38 > steps including GLEP 76 is exactly the opposite: we are creating
39 > additional barriers due to vague and bureaucratic reasons.
40 >
41 > Of course if authors wants to use "Gentoo Authors" this should be
42 > allowed, especially for automatic migration from the "Gentoo
43 > Foundation" line. But we must preserve the right to use explicit
44 > list of authors (including "and others" if necessary) if a
45 > maintainer wants so.
46 >
47 > Best regards,
48 > Andrew Savchenko
49
50 +1
51
52 My employer sponsors a lot of Gentoo ebuild and project work. We are
53 currently waiting for approval from the legal department to be able to
54 continue after the Glep 76 approval and subsequent enforcement. It
55 very well may include a requirement to include a company copyright
56 notice for the work done on comapny time and equipment.
57
58 I have prepared a patch to repoman which fully implements Glep 76. [1]
59 It adds a COPYRIGHT_OWNER variable to make.conf which can be set.
60 The COPYRIGHT_OWNER is only ever ensured (possibly added) to the
61 existing copyright line if the --copyright option is given on the cli.
62 It is also used to generate a new copyright line if one did not exist.
63
64 This option should only ever be used for significant changes to an
65 ebuild. I could extend it to include a --others option to append the
66 "and others" to the copyright. But I don't know if that will be used
67 enough to justify the extra code.
68
69 This patch also makes repoman more friendly for downstream repositiries
70 which could set the copyright apropriately without manual editing.
73 [1] https://github.com/gentoo/portage/pull/376