From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Formally have Council oversee the Foundation 2.0
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2017 20:11:34
1 On Mon, Jan 16, 2017 at 2:54 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > I would strongly suspect that Gentoo would have to have all its ducks in
4 > a row before it would even be considered.
5
6 Sure, but:
7 1. The list of items that need to be settled to move to SPI may be
8 smaller in scope than the list of things that need to be settled to
9 keep running the Foundation.
10 2. The Foundation would only need to be fully caught up for a moment
11 in time to execute the handover, and then it would be gone.
12 3. Since #1/2 would be a well-defined finite set of work it could be
13 bid out and professionals could be hired to do the heavy lifting.
14
15 I think that this represents a fairly different burden than the one of
16 trying to keep things running properly forever. If you handed a CPA
17 $10k to get all the books in order then six months later they'd be a
18 mess again.
19
20 It is like the difference between maintaining a house, and getting it
21 in good enough shape to sell. Sure, if you've been maintaining your
22 house all along then nothing needs to be done to sell it, but if not
23 the prospect of just hiring some professionals to do a fixed set of
24 cleanup tasks for a short term is probably more welcome than all the
25 work that goes into keeping the house in tip-top shape all the time.
28 Rich