From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Formally have Council oversee the Foundation 2.0
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2017 19:54:25
1 William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
2 > On Monday, January 16, 2017 1:20:01 PM EST Dale wrote:
3 >> Rich Freeman wrote:
4 >>> However, what we personally do is something we can all control. You
5 >>> can sue me for things I do wrong. You can't sue me for things others
6 >>> do wrong. That isn't the same as the situation today, where I as a
7 >>> developer can do something wrong, and the Foundation could be sued for
8 >>> it, and now the Trustees have to deal with it, and if they fail to
9 >>> discharge their duties as Trustees properly they could also be sued.
10 >> You just said what I've been saying. You can't sue someone for what
11 >> someone else did. SPI can't be sued because they wouldn't be in control
12 >> of what was done. SPI takes care of the money, manages the assets and
13 >> that's it. I've yet to see anywhere on their site that they handle
14 >> lawsuits. The only exception I could think possible, the IRS.
15 > I am not sure if the SPI would approve Gentoo's membership into the SPI. Given
16 > its past and present situation with the IRS. Likely some work to be done. It
17 > is not like the house is in order.
18 >
19 > Another aspect people keep forgetting. SPI is not a guarantee, Gentoo has to
20 > be accepted. If it is not, then this is all for not. That would be the first
21 > step.
22 >
23 > Can Gentoo become a member of the SPI? Would the SPI approve?
27 I would strongly suspect that Gentoo would have to have all its ducks in
28 a row before it would even be considered. Even then, the past could
29 come to haunt Gentoo. It's not like Gentoo has a history of keeping its
30 house in order. I been using Gentoo for well over a decade and even tho
31 so much changes, some things remain the same.
32
33 I might add, even if SPI did accept, I suspect Gentoo would drop some
34 other ball that would botch things up. Gentoo is good at coding and
35 such but when it comes to the rest, it's pretty slow. It's like having
36 a ace mechanic that can fix any car there is but gets busted and put out
37 of business for not paying taxes and maybe ends up in jail. Being a
38 good mechanic requires more than just turning a wrench or two. One has
39 to do the paperwork and take care of the bills to make it work. Even
40 getting someone else to do the billing and paying out still requires
41 work. The mechanic still has to tell the other person what was done,
42 how much to charge and what parts to order.
43
44 Do you still have any archived info on SPI and the research you did?
45 Did you ever contact SPI directly and still have those messages??
46
47 Dale
48