From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: [gentoo-dev] Special meeting [WAS: Council meeting summary for 8 May 2008]
Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 22:02:38
1 On Thu, 15 May 2008 17:45:35 -0400
2 "William L. Thomson Jr." <wltjr@g.o> wrote:
3 > I think the GLEP is a little harsh there. It likely should be amended
4 > or revised. To allow them the opportunity to re-schedule the meeting.
5 > Make up for their mistake. Rather than rush straight to punishment.
6
7 The GLEP was deliberately harsh, and was voted in based upon that
8 harshness. Developers also had the option of voting for the GLEP but
9 without the slacker clauses, but they chose (by a substantial margin)
10 not to.
11
12 > We all make mistakes, and I think so far they have done a good job and
13 > earned a little leeway. But I am in no way shape or form, advocating
14 > we not follow our own policies. But at the same time, we must use
15 > common sense.
16 >
17 > I think the GLEP is a good start, with some revisions it can be even
18 > better :)
19
20 Revisions to the GLEP pretty much require a global vote anyway, since
21 that was how the original GLEP was selected.
22
23 For those not aware, the "how the Council is run" stuff was decided by
24 global vote, not by approval of previous or current management. It
25 wasn't written or approved as a GLEP, but it's listed as a GLEP for
26 historical purposes and to make it easy to find.
27
28 Also for those not aware... The reason for the slacker clauses was that
29 prior to that, Gentoo was managed by a rather bizarrely selected group
30 of individuals (effectively, hardened and infra had representatives, the
31 tree didn't, for example) who mostly communicated via a closed mailing
32 list and who were quite happy disappearing for months on end and only
33 showing up when one of their pet irrelevant causes was under discussion.
36 Ciaran McCreesh