From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Trying to become a Gentoo Developer again spanning 8 years...
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2016 17:08:57
1 On Tuesday, October 11, 2016 12:24:42 PM EDT Rich Freeman wrote:
2
3 > I don't think any powers were really transferred anywhere in practice.
4
5 I am showing a trail of history where that is exactly the case. The powers did
6 not exist when GLEP 7 was adopted.
7
8 "Right now there is no mechanism to prevent such disputes from escalating out
9 of control."
10 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GLEP:7
11
12 "Subject: Ombudsman project ending
13 .....
14 Ombudsman and Developer Relations have therefore made a joint decision
15 to end the Ombudsman project and instead move conflict mediation to
16 Developer Relations itself. "
17 http://osdir.com/ml/linux.gentoo.devrel/2007-05/msg00000.html
18
19 At some point devrel was merged into comrel. It very clearly shows these
20 powers being passed around to entities that did not have them to begin with.
21 No project or entity had that power before GLEP 7.
22
23 > Devrel did the sorts of things before the CoC that it did after the
24 > CoC.
25
26 Not before GLEP 7 and not till after the Ombudsman project ended in 2007.
27 Which is why I recall it being a quiz question in 2006. Later replaced with
28 comrel/devrel on the quiz.
29
30 I am clearly showing this problem started in 2007-2008 and has grown worse
31 since.
32
33 > I'm not sure where you get that "Comrel/Devrel concept has not worked
34 > since its inception."
35
36 It is my observation and opinion over the years.
37
38 > If you mean that people still sometimes
39 > disregard the CoC, then that is like saying that the Police are
40 > unnecessary because there is still crime.
41
42 No this is like saying the Police are the ones committing the crimes. Police
43 not falling their own laws. Creating new laws, etc. But police are NOT
44 judges... In law enforcement there is separation of powers. That is not the
45 case in Gentoo, though in the past seems it was a bit more so.
48 William L. Thomson Jr.