From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Trying to become a Gentoo Developer again spanning 8 years...
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2016 16:24:46
1 On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 12:11 PM, William L. Thomson Jr.
2 <wlt-ml@××××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Tuesday, October 11, 2016 5:59:38 PM EDT Ulrich Mueller wrote:
4 >> >>>>> On Tue, 11 Oct 2016, William L Thomson wrote:
5 >> >> There were only two changes with regards to content after inception
6 >> >> of the CoC: One in 2008, replacing proctors by devrel und userrel
7 >> >> (bug 185572),
8 >> >
9 >> > I was not aware comrel and userrel were created in 2008.
10 >>
11 >> Both projects are much older. The timing relates to the dissolution of
12 >> the proctors project, see the 2007-07-12 council meeting log.
13 >
14 > Yes but per that bug it seems most the policing powers fell under Proctors and
15 > that was transferred to comrel/devrel.
16
17 Maybe on paper, but the reality is that Proctors functioned for all of
18 about three days (though the devs who constituted the Proctors were
19 doing moderation activities long before and after they were Proctors).
20 It apparently took much longer for the CoC to be updated to reflect
21 the reality of the situation.
22
23 Devrel/Userrel existed for years before the CoC came along as far as I'm aware.
26 > Actually it is does given powers were transferred from one entity to another.
27 > I never recall hearing issues from the Proctors. Seems comrel/devrel concept
28 > has not worked since its inception. Or at least since Proctors was merged into
29 > or taken over by other entities.
32 I don't think any powers were really transferred anywhere in practice.
33 Devrel did the sorts of things before the CoC that it did after the
34 CoC. For a few days the Proctors were active in the community, and
35 then they were gone. Documentation might have taken ages to catch up
36 with reality, but Devrel never really ceased operating, and the
37 Proctors were never really intended to completely replace them as far
38 as I'm aware. Of course Devrel/Userrel later fused into Comrel, but
39 that isn't really a "transfer of power" so much as a re-org.
40
41 I'm not sure where you get that "Comrel/Devrel concept has not worked
42 since its inception." If you mean that people still sometimes
43 disregard the CoC, then that is like saying that the Police are
44 unnecessary because there is still crime.
47 Rich