From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Social Contract clean-up
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2018 17:18:29
1 On Tue, Mar 27, 2018 at 10:49 AM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
4 > Then perhaps we should wait until they figure out how to take care of
5 > that annoying stuff like real business matters before we give them
6 > more important matters to do, like care for the Social Contract?
9 Rich, there is so many things wrong with what you just said, I don't know
10 where to begin. First, I have noticed that you have a tendency of making
11 insulting comments about the Trustees as well as Foundation members who
12 have legitimate concerns. Your comment above is insulting to the Trustees.
13 It is not helpful to be dismissive or insulting.
14
15 Secondly, this idea that you have to "give them" the authority to do what
16 they are chartered to do in the first place is totally wrong. It is
17 actually the other way around. The trustees, as a whole, have complete
18 authority over the project, and have the ability and legal authority to
19 remove Council members that they may feel are a threat to the long-term
20 stability of the project, similar to how a Board of Directors can axe a
21 problematic CEO. So in regards to running the project, GLEPs, etc., the
22 trustees have the ability to intervene when needed to keep the project on
23 track. However, they do not "run" the project on a day-to-day basis, or
24 even engage in most strategic decisions, unless it involves a significant
25 departure from our existing focus (for example, if Gentoo were to decide to
26 build a search engine, I could see the Trustees being involved in that
27 decision.)
28
29 -Daniel