From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Social Contract clean-up
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2018 17:43:34
1 On Tue, Mar 27, 2018 at 1:18 PM, Daniel Robbins <drobbins@××××××.org> wrote:
2 >
3 > Rich, there is so many things wrong with what you just said, I don't know
4 > where to begin. First, I have noticed that you have a tendency of making
5 > insulting comments about the Trustees as well as Foundation members who have
6 > legitimate concerns. Your comment above is insulting to the Trustees. It is
7 > not helpful to be dismissive or insulting.
10 You do realize that this very topic was brought up in an insulting
11 email written by a Trustee putting down the members of the Council,
12 right?
13
14 And I've repeatedly said that my intent is not to smear individual
15 Trustees and that I believe that most participating in this discussion
16 right now mean well. I think that the problems here are systemic, and
17 not so much with the individuals, other than that they are human and
18 unpaid volunteers (which is systemic). Heck, I used to be a Trustee
19 and was an officer until not all that long ago.
20
21 There are MANY of us who have concerns over Gentoo's current state.
22 The problem is that there is disagreement around how to resolve it.
23
24 > The trustees, as a whole, have complete authority over
25 > the project, and have the ability and legal authority to remove Council
26 > members that they may feel are a threat to the long-term stability of the
27 > project.
28
29 Only on paper. If they actually tried to exercise this right it would
30 certainly lead to complete chaos. I suspect for the most part
31 everybody would just ignore them, and they'd be forced to try to
32 undertake legal measures to seize control of the Foundation assets
33 assuming they could even afford to do this. In the meantime most of
34 the distro would probably just carry on without them.
35
36 In the worst case Gentoo would end up changing its name and hosting.
37 I suspect this would only happen after considerable expense by the
38 Foundation to boot everybody out, assuming this even succeeded.
39
40 But, this is all hypothetical. I doubt any of this would ever happen,
41 because the Trustees have no incentive to basically destroy the
42 Foundation over something like this. At the very least it would be
43 counterproductive.
46 Rich