From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: A plan for Gentoo
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2017 23:41:32
1 typo: Medico, not Medio :)
2
3 On Fri, Dec 8, 2017 at 4:40 PM, Daniel Robbins <drobbins@××××××.org> wrote:
4
5 > Hi Andreas,
6 >
7 > Yes, you bring up an old argument I had with ciaranm (who I am sure no one
8 > has ever got in an argument with before, wink wink.)
9 >
10 > Looking at my past, I think you may find it a familiar trajectory that
11 > resonates with a lot of senior Gentoo contributors: unbridled youthful
12 > enthusiasm, which then turns into incredible productivity and growth, then
13 > additional burdens, responsibilities and demands, resulting in eventual
14 > burn-out and cynicism. I was the first astronaut to be launched into orbit,
15 > so to speak, so I got to experience this fantastic voyage first -- but I am
16 > sure you know others who have followed in my foot-steps in this area. So I
17 > think the point you raise is actually important, but it should not be
18 > presented as a personal attack on me, but as a general weakness in Gentoo
19 > related to mentorship, growth and direction for senior-level Gentoo
20 > contributors and providing them with positive (good for the project, good
21 > for them) outlets for their immense talent, while preventing their
22 > incredible influence gained within the project from turning into a negative
23 > and causing internal strife.
24 >
25 > Everyone needs a path of growth, including our most senior people. I can
26 > tell you from personal experience that dealing with this by having an
27 > internal civil war is not good for the project or for those personally
28 > involved. It can be extremely damaging. I feel like I have felt the pain of
29 > walking this path and am motivated to prevent other senior Gentoo
30 > developers from eventually becoming cynical and burnt out. I have talked to
31 > a couple recently who are clearly experiencing this. I frankly think this
32 > is very important to address for the health of the project. In particular,
33 > we have recently lost vapier and I am concerned about a few others. I think
34 > that the solution to this is to have a vision of forward evolution and
35 > growth of the project -- we need new, bigger challenges and our most senior
36 > people need to 'graduate' into playing a leading role in shaping the future
37 > of technology. We all need to support one another instead of fighting
38 > amongst each other.
39 >
40 > The phrase of 'non-voting council member' is essentially meaningless -- I
41 > ask that I would be included in council meetings and allowed to speak
42 > during them. I think this is a reasonable request considering my
43 > background. My intention is to contribute. If I were to simply be invited
44 > to these meetings, and sincerely allowed to participate and not experience
45 > any passive-aggressive behavior from council members who may prefer to not
46 > have me there, I think this would be sufficient. If it seemed presumptuous
47 > to propose a vote or a special role, I understand, apologize, and I assure
48 > you that it is motivated by enthusiasm and not expectation of special
49 > treatment.
50 >
51 > FWIW, I have applied to be a non-committing Gentoo developer. Zac Medio is
52 > my mentor, so I will be completing that process. I have interest in being
53 > involved in the following roles:
54 >
55 > 1) Council. I would be happy to participate in council meetings. Just know
56 > that if I were invited to participate, I would.
57 >
58 > 2) Trustees. I notice that we only have four trustees. I would be happy to
59 > serve as the 'fifth Beatle' which would legally obligate me in my role as
60 > trustee to represent the interests of the Gentoo Foundation and the health
61 > of the project, and coordinate with attorneys, etc.
62 >
63 > 3) Contributor. I will continue to work with Zac Medico on resolving
64 > various obscure Portage bugs (often this is more of an IRC discussion and
65 > exploration of possibilities to solve the problem, which results in some
66 > kind of definitive plan to address a long-standing bug.) I am also planning
67 > to work with robbat2 on a genkernel rewrite and am open to other areas of
68 > collaboration, both personally and between Gentoo and Funtoo.
69 >
70 > 4) Metastructure. I would like to start thinking about how to build a
71 > positive future for those very senior Gentoo developers who have
72 > traditionally experienced burn-out and cynicism.
73 >
74 > 5) Fund-raising. I would ideally like to see the Gentoo Foundation have an
75 > operating budget of around .5M USD. I think this is an achievable goal.
76 > This means having a positive vision for Gentoo that we can communicate
77 > outwards and that resonates with the world.
78 >
79 > 6) Collaboration. I have some interesting ideas for how we can build
80 > win-win relationships with Google, Sony and other organizations that are
81 > using Gentoo -- we can do more than we are doing now.
82 >
83 > 7) Developer. Ongoing work on Portage and genkernel, and other areas.
84 >
85 > Regards,
86 >
87 > Daniel