From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: A plan for Gentoo
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2017 23:40:53
1 Hi Andreas,
2
3 Yes, you bring up an old argument I had with ciaranm (who I am sure no one
4 has ever got in an argument with before, wink wink.)
5
6 Looking at my past, I think you may find it a familiar trajectory that
7 resonates with a lot of senior Gentoo contributors: unbridled youthful
8 enthusiasm, which then turns into incredible productivity and growth, then
9 additional burdens, responsibilities and demands, resulting in eventual
10 burn-out and cynicism. I was the first astronaut to be launched into orbit,
11 so to speak, so I got to experience this fantastic voyage first -- but I am
12 sure you know others who have followed in my foot-steps in this area. So I
13 think the point you raise is actually important, but it should not be
14 presented as a personal attack on me, but as a general weakness in Gentoo
15 related to mentorship, growth and direction for senior-level Gentoo
16 contributors and providing them with positive (good for the project, good
17 for them) outlets for their immense talent, while preventing their
18 incredible influence gained within the project from turning into a negative
19 and causing internal strife.
20
21 Everyone needs a path of growth, including our most senior people. I can
22 tell you from personal experience that dealing with this by having an
23 internal civil war is not good for the project or for those personally
24 involved. It can be extremely damaging. I feel like I have felt the pain of
25 walking this path and am motivated to prevent other senior Gentoo
26 developers from eventually becoming cynical and burnt out. I have talked to
27 a couple recently who are clearly experiencing this. I frankly think this
28 is very important to address for the health of the project. In particular,
29 we have recently lost vapier and I am concerned about a few others. I think
30 that the solution to this is to have a vision of forward evolution and
31 growth of the project -- we need new, bigger challenges and our most senior
32 people need to 'graduate' into playing a leading role in shaping the future
33 of technology. We all need to support one another instead of fighting
34 amongst each other.
35
36 The phrase of 'non-voting council member' is essentially meaningless -- I
37 ask that I would be included in council meetings and allowed to speak
38 during them. I think this is a reasonable request considering my
39 background. My intention is to contribute. If I were to simply be invited
40 to these meetings, and sincerely allowed to participate and not experience
41 any passive-aggressive behavior from council members who may prefer to not
42 have me there, I think this would be sufficient. If it seemed presumptuous
43 to propose a vote or a special role, I understand, apologize, and I assure
44 you that it is motivated by enthusiasm and not expectation of special
45 treatment.
46
47 FWIW, I have applied to be a non-committing Gentoo developer. Zac Medio is
48 my mentor, so I will be completing that process. I have interest in being
49 involved in the following roles:
50
51 1) Council. I would be happy to participate in council meetings. Just know
52 that if I were invited to participate, I would.
53
54 2) Trustees. I notice that we only have four trustees. I would be happy to
55 serve as the 'fifth Beatle' which would legally obligate me in my role as
56 trustee to represent the interests of the Gentoo Foundation and the health
57 of the project, and coordinate with attorneys, etc.
58
59 3) Contributor. I will continue to work with Zac Medico on resolving
60 various obscure Portage bugs (often this is more of an IRC discussion and
61 exploration of possibilities to solve the problem, which results in some
62 kind of definitive plan to address a long-standing bug.) I am also planning
63 to work with robbat2 on a genkernel rewrite and am open to other areas of
64 collaboration, both personally and between Gentoo and Funtoo.
65
66 4) Metastructure. I would like to start thinking about how to build a
67 positive future for those very senior Gentoo developers who have
68 traditionally experienced burn-out and cynicism.
69
70 5) Fund-raising. I would ideally like to see the Gentoo Foundation have an
71 operating budget of around .5M USD. I think this is an achievable goal.
72 This means having a positive vision for Gentoo that we can communicate
73 outwards and that resonates with the world.
74
75 6) Collaboration. I have some interesting ideas for how we can build
76 win-win relationships with Google, Sony and other organizations that are
77 using Gentoo -- we can do more than we are doing now.
78
79 7) Developer. Ongoing work on Portage and genkernel, and other areas.
80
81 Regards,
82
83 Daniel