From: Matthew Thode <prometheanfire@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: A plan for Gentoo
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2017 01:07:58
1 Snipped down for size, replies inline.
2
3 On 17-12-08 16:40:50, Daniel Robbins wrote:
4 > Hi Andreas,
5 >
6 > FWIW, I have applied to be a non-committing Gentoo developer. Zac Medio is
7 > my mentor, so I will be completing that process. I have interest in being
8 > involved in the following roles:
9 >
10 > 1) Council. I would be happy to participate in council meetings. Just know
11 > that if I were invited to participate, I would.
12 >
13 > 2) Trustees. I notice that we only have four trustees. I would be happy to
14 > serve as the 'fifth Beatle' which would legally obligate me in my role as
15 > trustee to represent the interests of the Gentoo Foundation and the health
16 > of the project, and coordinate with attorneys, etc.
19 Prety sure there's 5 of us. At least there were at the last meeting :D
20 Here's our up to date info atm. https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Foundation:Main_Page
21 We run monthly meetings as well. We don't run closed meetings or
22 moderate them too much, so watching one or tactfully speaking in one should be
23 fine.
24
25 > 3) Contributor. I will continue to work with Zac Medico on resolving
26 > various obscure Portage bugs (often this is more of an IRC discussion and
27 > exploration of possibilities to solve the problem, which results in some
28 > kind of definitive plan to address a long-standing bug.) I am also planning
29 > to work with robbat2 on a genkernel rewrite and am open to other areas of
30 > collaboration, both personally and between Gentoo and Funtoo.
33 Glad to have more eyes and hands on that code, also happy to see you going down
34 the path of becoming a developer again.
35
36 > 4) Metastructure. I would like to start thinking about how to build a
37 > positive future for those very senior Gentoo developers who have
38 > traditionally experienced burn-out and cynicism.
41 I'd need to hear more here before commenting, but there was an attempt (about
42 a year ago, by me even) to try to change the metastructure to be more like a
43 clasical business (or even a 'tree' structure) instead of our current 'two-
44 headed-beast'. It didn't go so well...
45
46 > 5) Fund-raising. I would ideally like to see the Gentoo Foundation have an
47 > operating budget of around .5M USD. I think this is an achievable goal.
48 > This means having a positive vision for Gentoo that we can communicate
49 > outwards and that resonates with the world.
52 I imagine that this is an annual operating budget? I don't think we've recieved
53 that much in donations in our lifetime as a distro. While more money is better
54 than less, it doesn't mean we should spend it without some dicipline.
55
56 > 6) Collaboration. I have some interesting ideas for how we can build
57 > win-win relationships with Google, Sony and other organizations that are
58 > using Gentoo -- we can do more than we are doing now.
59 >
60 > 7) Developer. Ongoing work on Portage and genkernel, and other areas.
61 >
62 > Regards,
63 >
64 > Daniel