From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Social Contract clean-up
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2018 22:22:38
1 On Sat, Mar 31, 2018 at 5:48 PM, Daniel Robbins <drobbins@××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On Sat, Mar 31, 2018 at 2:30 PM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
5 >> You act as if Gentoo is doing something egregious here. In fact, I'm
6 >> not aware of any organization that operates in the manner you suggest.
7 >> If you were aware of one you'd be citing it instead of arguing in the
8 >> abstract.
11 > So you are unaware of any
12 > organization that produces software which solicits feedback from the people
13 > who actually use the software? EVERY organization does this. Find me one
14 > that doesn't. The burden of proof is on you.
15
16 You didn't propose soliciting feedback from users. You proposed
17 giving non-contributing users the power to vote for members of the
18 board of directors.
19
20 As far as orgs that do not do this, I'll go ahead and cite a few:
21
22 Software in the Public Interest (Debian, Wikipedia, etc)
23 https://www.spi-inc.org/membership/guidelines/
24 (non-contributing members do not get to vote for the board)
25
26 Ubuntu
27 https://www.ubuntu.com/community/governance
28 (Closest thing to a user rep there is the Community Council, which is
29 only elected by what we would call developers.)
30 https://launchpad.net/~ubuntumembers
31
32 Funtoo Solutions
33 (Couldn't find published bylaws, but with only one director named I
34 have a pretty good guess as to how he was selected.)
35
36 To avoid an extra reply, you clearly advocate giving users a direct
37 vote in the governance of the organization in your original proposal.
38 Quoting your original email:
39
40 > Therefore, I propose that the Foundation have a new position of User Representative and that these officers have an official (voting) role in the Council decision-making process.
41 > Encourage Gentoo users to become members of the Foundation through outreach and other initiatives.
42
43 So, basically users become members. Members vote for Trustees.
44 Trustees appoint User Representative. User Representative gets to
45 vote in Council decision-making, and Trustees get to remove Council
46 members in your proposal.
47
48 The key part of the above is users becoming Foundation members, who
49 ultimately govern the Foundation through their representatives, the
50 Trustees.
51
52 In any case, my point is basically that no organization I'm aware of
53 allows non-contributing users to vote for their board of directors.
54 Gentoo already has a path for contributing users to vote for the
55 board.
58 Rich