From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] rfc: council members and appeals
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2018 00:29:41
1 On Sun, Feb 11, 2018 at 7:12 PM, William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 >> Appeals sometimes reverse decisions because these lower groups are
4 >> imperfect at enacting the policies set at the top, or they are
5 >> operating in areas where no precedent exists. These reversals
6 >> shouldn't be seen as some kind of checks/balances system that adds
7 >> value, but an inefficiency that wastes time deliberating matters more
8 >> than once. It is necessary only because it would be even more
9 >> inefficient to slow everything down to a pace where one small group
10 >> could deal with it all.
11 >
12 > I agree that the higher body should not be involved in every case;
13 > However, I absolutely do not agree that appeals are not a
14 > checks/balances system. If someone appeals something it means that they
15 > feel that the decision made by the lower body needs to be re-examined.
16 > If the higher body then overrules the lower body, it isn't meant in a
17 > shameful way, it is just guidance for the lower body in the future.
18
19 Checks and balances are when two bodies are allowed to be in
20 opposition, with neither body being superior to the other. In the US
21 system the three federal branches operate in this way for the most
22 part, with each branch able to block certain actions of the others.
23
24 An appeal isn't a check and balance. An appeal is a superior body
25 having the opportunity to overrule the action of an inferior one.
26 Comrel doesn't act as a check against the Council, nor does the
27 Council really act as a check against Comrel. Council sets policies,
28 Comrel enforces them (with its own ability to set policy subordinate
29 to Council).
32 >> So, if there were no QA or comrel, and there were just the council,
33 >> and it handled everything and there were no appeals at all, this would
34 >> not lower the quality of decisions, but it would actually raise them
35 >> (since some incorrect decisions might not be appealed). However, it
36 >> would come at a cost of a lot less stuff getting done since you'd have
37 >> reducing the pool of labor.
38 >
39 > Rich, I don't follow this logic at all.
40
41 What is confusing about it? Imagine that the Council dissolved both
42 QA and Comrel, and directly handled both? The main issue with this is
43 that stuff would probably get neglected, but ultimately it is the same
44 body that is making the final decisions.
45
46 > I know about the appellate courts, but there are other levels as well.
47 > You would never find a district courte judge on an appellate court
48 > simultaneously, and you would never find an appellate court judge or
49 > district courte judge serving simultaneously as a justice on the Supreme Court.
50
51 As far as I am aware there is no provision in US law that prevents
52 this. It is just impractical, and would defeat the point of
53 delegation.
54
55 Keep in mind that real-world courts pay salaries and as a result tend
56 to have a surplus of qualified professionals to man every post. The
57 same is not true within Gentoo.
58
59 In an ideal world we'd have more people to man these posts.
60
61 As I recall there have been complaints made on the lists that the
62 leaders on the Council need to do more to fix problems actively vs
63 just waiting for people to come to them for decisions. I think this
64 is the main reason why Council members ended up in lead roles on other
65 projects. Some project was considered to need help, and a Council
66 member stepped into try to strengthen it. I'd be careful about
67 banning this sort of practice, because then the only thing the Council
68 could do if Comrel or QA were inactive would be to whine about it on
69 the lists until somebody else stepped up to fix things.
70
71 In any case, that's my opinion. I suspect it might not be a majority
72 opinion and that is OK. The world won't end if a few more critical
73 Gentoo projects go idle...
76 Rich