From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: rich0@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] rfc: council members and appeals
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2018 00:12:30
1 On Sun, Feb 11, 2018 at 06:20:06PM -0500, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Sun, Feb 11, 2018 at 5:42 PM, William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
3 > >
4 > > I feel that council members should not be members of projects whose
5 > > actions can be appealed to the council like qa or comrel. I have felt
6 > > this way for a long time, because I think it compromises the full
7 > > council's ability to vote fairly on appeals.
8 > >
9 > > Thoughts?
12 > IMO while this seems to be a popular sentiment it misses the point of
13 > why organizations have appeals, and seems to be based on some kind of
14 > incorrect notion that people making decisions automatically have a
15 > conflict of interest when hearing appeals of these decisions.
16
17 I disagree, and since you are talking about the US court system, I'll
18 use that in my arguments.
19
20 > The concept behind appeals is that you have a group at the top that is
21 > most trusted to make decisions, and they generally set policy, but
22 > this policy is first enacted by lower tiers of the organization
23 > because it would be impractical to have the most trusted body hear
24 > every case.
25
26 Yes, we agree on this. I agree that the council is supposed to be the
27 most trusted body that is in charge of high level policies/decisions.
28 In my mind, in terms of appeals, that makes it more like the Supreme
29 Court in the US.
30
31 > Appeals sometimes reverse decisions because these lower groups are
32 > imperfect at enacting the policies set at the top, or they are
33 > operating in areas where no precedent exists. These reversals
34 > shouldn't be seen as some kind of checks/balances system that adds
35 > value, but an inefficiency that wastes time deliberating matters more
36 > than once. It is necessary only because it would be even more
37 > inefficient to slow everything down to a pace where one small group
38 > could deal with it all.
39
40 I agree that the higher body should not be involved in every case;
41 However, I absolutely do not agree that appeals are not a
42 checks/balances system. If someone appeals something it means that they
43 feel that the decision made by the lower body needs to be re-examined.
44 If the higher body then overrules the lower body, it isn't meant in a
45 shameful way, it is just guidance for the lower body in the future.
46
47 > So, if there were no QA or comrel, and there were just the council,
48 > and it handled everything and there were no appeals at all, this would
49 > not lower the quality of decisions, but it would actually raise them
50 > (since some incorrect decisions might not be appealed). However, it
51 > would come at a cost of a lot less stuff getting done since you'd have
52 > reducing the pool of labor.
53
54 Rich, I don't follow this logic at all.
55
56 > Some organizations find a compromise where a decision might be made by
57 > a subset of a trusted group, and then be appealable to the entirety of
58 > the group. This is common in appellate courts in the US, for example,
59 > where out of the entire group of judges a small panel is chosen to
60 > hear each case, with the decisions being appealable to the entire
61 > group. In these situations the same judges get to vote again in the
62 > full panel despite having already rendered a decision in the previous
63 > panel. This isn't viewed as a conflict of interest, because the
64 > judges were not motivated out of personal interest in the first place.
65 > There is no shame in having a decision reversed because it usually is
66 > a result of unclear precedent. On the second hearing a judge is free
67 > to either change their opinion or keep their previous one.
68
69 I know about the appellate courts, but there are other levels as well.
70 You would never find a district courte judge on an appellate court
71 simultaneously, and you would never find an appellate court judge or
72 district courte judge serving simultaneously as a justice on the Supreme Court.
73
74 William