From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Evidence of idella4's damage to Gentoo, please
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2016 02:57:08
1 On Thursday, December 1, 2016 9:46:31 PM EST Rich Freeman wrote:
2 >
3 > So, here is the problem with trying to have a conversation like this
4 > in public. I can't even confirm or deny whether you have been the
5 > subject of a comrel action or appeal.
6
7 You should be doing EVERYTHING in public... You represent the public interest
8 and a public community based on open source concepts.
9
10 > If I knew you were given an example of a situation where you had
11 > violated the CoC, I couldn't point that out either, nor could I cite
12 > situations where this very matter was discussed, were that to have
13 > happened.
14
15 That is absolutely absurd. Gentoo does not have any NDA that you have signed
16 and are legally bound to. This cloak of secrecy is of concern and should not
17 exist. It need not exist. How many times does it need be said that nothing
18 regarding Gentoo should be confidential. It is ridiculous to think otherwise.
19
20 If there are legal reasons to keep matters private that is one thing. But I
21 think more legal arguments would support it being made public. Not to mention
22 potential liability keeping information in private while taking action in
23 public. Essentially defaming people.
24
25 Either release all details in their entirety. Or refrain from any action.
26 Doing anything otherwise for a public project based around open source
27 software is essentially censorship. Denying freedom of information. That is a
28 horrible precedence to set for a open community....
29
30 If Gentoo has no tolerance for proprietary software, it should be the same for
31 keeping information from the public. Regarding any matter other than security.
32 Even security should not be confidential once a fix is available.
35 William L. Thomson Jr.