From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: Ian Delaney <della5@×××××××××.au>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Evidence of idella4's damage to Gentoo, please
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2016 02:46:34
1 On Thu, Dec 1, 2016 at 8:34 PM, Ian Delaney <della5@×××××××××.au> wrote:
2 > On Thu, 1 Dec 2016 18:48:33 -0500
3 > Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
6 >> The one thing I haven't seen is anybody saying, "Ok, maybe I blew it,
7 >> and I'm sorry, I promise I won't do it again." And, honestly, when I
8 >> see an appeal that is probably the one thing I'm most interested in
9 >> seeing.
10 >>
11 >> Sure, if there were no evidence that somebody did something wrong then
12 >> I would back them up in an appeal. However, the fact is that most of
13 >> us blow it at one point or another and the thing that
14 >> recruiters/comrel/council/etc end up looking for is signs that
15 >> somebody is committed to following the CoC in the future, regardless
16 >> of what has happened in the past.
20 > My oh my oh my. How many times do I have to say it. Once more this time
21 > in the ML. I DIDN'T SEE THE EVIDENCE. YOU REFUSED TO SHOW IT TO ME
22 > DESPITE A FORMAL REQUEST via "SUBJECT: request for data" leaving me to
23 > appeal by reverse engineering and deductive reasoning, only to have
24 > ffffalll guy smirk and insist my detective work was all wrong as usual.
25
26 So, here is the problem with trying to have a conversation like this
27 in public. I can't even confirm or deny whether you have been the
28 subject of a comrel action or appeal.
29
30 If I knew you were given an example of a situation where you had
31 violated the CoC, I couldn't point that out either, nor could I cite
32 situations where this very matter was discussed, were that to have
33 happened.
34
35 And this is the downside to conducting matters like this in private.
36 You're welcome to make whatever accusations you wish, and nobody is
37 really free to contradict them.
38
39 However, I do think this is preferable to watching everybody go back
40 and forth and line up and take sides (which is basically what happens
41 when you try to do something like this in public; just look at the
42 start of this thread). So, if you want to assume I was a part of
43 something sinister, then be my guest.
44
45 As Gregory said earlier, we need to avoid "being a community that
46 doesn't want to offend anybody." I think people getting offended by
47 issues like this is basically inevitable.
48
49 I think that most of the general pros and cons to handling matters in
50 private have already been discussed ad nauseum. If something new
51 comes up that warrants a reply I'll do so, but otherwise feel free to
52 refer to the countless responses I've already given as I don't think
53 it profits everybody to hear them again. I'm not surprised that there
54 is disagreement on a matter like this. I can only promise to be
55 up-front about things and if people have a problem they're welcome to
56 vote for somebody else. I can't really discuss what has transpired in
57 any specific Council appeal.
60 Rich