From: Lukasz Damentko <rane@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Should returning developers be handled before first timers?
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2011 15:54:08
1 I think recruiters should be free to pick any order of processing
2 recruitments they consider the best for themselves and the work they
3 are doing, the recruits and the project as a whole.
4
5 If there's a developer waiting in the queue who hasn't lost his
6 kung-fu, process him first so he can start contributing right away
7 rather than wait for you to get through trainees who take longer to
8 train and examine. If there are new devs lined up for understaffed
9 projects, process those first to help those projects recover. So on.
10
11 Any artificial rule that encourages recruiters to process people in
12 the same order they are reporting for duty I'd consider problematic
13 for the recruitment process and in the long term harmful for Gentoo.
14
15 Imagine you are obliged to process bugs in the packages in the same
16 order they are filed without being able to prioritize. So whatever big
17 fixes you need to make have to wait until you get through everything
18 filed prior to them delaying important fix for less important ones.
19 You are able to fix bugs in your ebuilds in any order you please, why
20 shouldn't recruiters be allowed the same?
21
22 My suggestion is: let recruiters decide on their own who should be
23 processed when on case by case basis. If they feel like bumping
24 someone and have good reasons to do so, they should be allowed to. If
25 they feel someone (regardless if it's a returning or a new dev) can
26 wait a bit longer until other more needed or skilled candidate is
27 processed. I trust recruiters and their judgement in this matter and I
28 wouldn't want to limit them with any policies in this matter.
29
30 Kind regards,
31
32 Ɓukasz Damentko