From: Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o>
To: "Paweł Hajdan, Jr." <phajdan.jr@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Should returning developers be handled before first timers?
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2011 15:41:58
1 On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 3:31 PM, "Paweł Hajdan, Jr."
2 <phajdan.jr@g.o> wrote:
3 > On 2/16/11 5:50 PM, Petteri Räty wrote:
4 >> Currently the recruiting team handles returning developers in the
5 >> same way as people joining the first time. The question that I have
6 >> been presented with is if they should get priority?
7 >
8 > I think that we should avoid any special treatment for non-technical
9 > reasons.
10 >
11 > However, I'd expect that returning developers would have to learn only
12 > about some recent additions to Gentoo like EAPI, PMS, and maybe not even
13 > that. That should make passing the quizzes much faster, with less
14 > round-trips.
15
16 The round-trips (reviewing the quiz, fixing problems, reviewing again)
17 takes about 5% the time (just a guess from my experience) of the whole
18 recruitment process. It's really unimportant when the person being
19 recruited has waited ~6 months for a recruiter to become available.
20
21 The issue is whether former developers should be moved to the front of
22 the queue. I say yes, because we know that they'll be able to jump in
23 and start helping quickly, and the number of round-trips, as you say,
24 in the review process will be much fewer so they should only
25 negligibly slow down new developers' recruitment.
26
27 Matt