From: Raymond Jennings <shentino@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Comrel Improvements: Expectations of Privacy
Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2016 05:45:16
1 On Sat, Oct 1, 2016 at 10:36 PM, Robin H. Johnson <robbat2@g.o>
2 wrote:
3 > On Sat, Oct 01, 2016 at 09:55:31PM -0700, Raymond Jennings wrote:
4 >> This is exactly why my opinion is strongly in favor of having the
5 >> situation, whatever it may actually be, documented so that people
6 >> who
7 >> might get burned by having their stuff exposed by legal action will
8 >> at
9 >> least have advanced warning.
10 > The "protected" information in the case of forums would be limited to
11 > private messages, and any private user information that was not
12 > exposed
13 > elsewhere (eg IP address, hidden email address). Everything else on
14 > the
15 > forums is a public posting, and thus not granted any protections.
16 >
17 > The case that really worries me is IRC private messages. There are
18 > generally only two parties with logs, which are likely to be the
19 > plaintiff and defendant previously mentioned. (Both parties have an
20 > interest in altering the messages). In most cases [1], the messages
21 > go via
22 > one or more Freenode servers, which could in theory log them, and also
23 > complicate the privacy jurisdiction question.
24
25 Interestingly enough, a widely used "unrealircd" strongly opposes
26 logging or snooping, and people get banned from their support channels
27 for even asking about it.
28
29 As for the difference between taking leads and rumors, and taking hard
30 testimony that can be used in a comrel case, I propose:
31
32 1. If its an investigation, you can be informal about it
33
34 2. If the accuser wants to open an official complaint, they in turn
35 need to be prepared to testify directly to a comrel member, who
36 themselves becomes responsible as I mentioned before. The accuser must
37 swear to be held responsible for the trustworthiness and accuracy of
38 their testimony, and to accept getting their ass burned IF they are
39 caught lying or screwing up. Emphasis on if.
40
41 This means, that if someone is just reporting rumor or a concern, they
42 don't need to worry about getting in trouble. But the moment they want
43 to make an accusation they'd better back it up with their own skin.
44 And if comrel investigates and gets its own evidence, after following
45 the lead of the accuser, then the accuser was probably right and
46 doesn't need to worry.
47
48 > [1] IRC does have ways to directly message another person without it
49 > going through servers; said ways originate in file tranfers between
50 > parties and are much less common today.
51
52 DCC.
53
54 > --
55 > Robin Hugh Johnson
56 > Gentoo Linux: Dev, Infra Lead, Foundation Trustee & Treasurer
57 > E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
58 > GnuPG FP : 11ACBA4F 4778E3F6 E4EDF38E B27B944E 34884E85
59 > GnuPG FP : 7D0B3CEB E9B85B1F 825BCECF EE05E6F6 A48F6136
60 >