From: "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Gentoo, GitHub, and the Social Contract
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2015 20:54:36
1 On 02/14/15 15:48, Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 >
4 > whenever the suggestion comes up to enable contributions to Gentoo via Github
5 > pull requests, we also encounter discussion of the Gentoo Social Contract.
6 >
7 > The two points that are seen as conflicting are
8 >
9 > * The software running Github is closed source, proprietary.
10 >
11 > * The Gentoo Social Contract states [1]:
12 > "Gentoo will never depend upon a piece of software or metadata unless it
13 > conforms to the GNU General Public License, the GNU Lesser General Public
14 > License, the Creative Commons - Attribution/Share Alike or some other license
15 > approved by the Open Source Initiative (OSI)."
16 >
17 > We need to resolve this discussion somehow, by formulating a clear policy.
18 > Which is why I'm putting it up here for discussion and will ask to add it to
19 > the next council meeting agenda.
20 >
21 > Many arguments have already been made. Feel free to summarize your points
22 > again in a reply to this e-mail.
23 >
24 > Cheers,
25 > Andreas
26 >
27 > [1] http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/contract.xml
30 I didn't know that was in our social contract, but I totally stand
31 behind it. I feel very uneasy about our increasing use/dependency on
32 github. I'd like to see the stuff we have on github migrate back to our
33 infra.
36 Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
37 Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]
38 E-Mail : blueness@g.o
39 GnuPG FP : 1FED FAD9 D82C 52A5 3BAB DC79 9384 FA6E F52D 4BBA
40 GnuPG ID : F52D4BBA