From: George Prowse <cokehabit@×××××.com>
To: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>, gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: [gentoo-nfp] Re: How to improve the trustees
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 16:06:59
1 Steve Long wrote:
2 > George Prowse wrote:
3 >> Roy Bamford wrote:
4 >>> On 2008.02.03 16:49, Matthew Summers wrote:
5 >>>> Roy Bamford wrote:
6 >>>>> Many new users come to gentoo as their first Linux. Many of them
7 >>>>> are poorly informed about both Linux and Gentoo - I don't know how
8 >>>>> to reach this group *before* they start asking for help in #gentoo
9 >>>>> and on the forums. Thats the sort problem we have to solve.
10 >>>>>
11 >>>>>
12 >>>> Roy,
13 >>>>
14 >>>> Towards a solution to this particular issue above, I suggest Gentoo
15 >>>> provides a documentation project (possibly) entitled "Learning Linux
16 >>>> with Gentoo". Within this we could easily address many issues faced
17 >>>> by new Linux/Gentoo users.
18 > <snip>
19 >>>> As always, I offer my assistance/support in the aforementioned
20 >>>> endeavor.
21 >>>>
22 >>> Matthew,
23 >>>
24 >>> I think this is a good idea. However, one of the issues is that a body
25 >>> of new users is not even aware of the existance of the current
26 >>> documentation.
27 >>>
28 >>> e.g. How to head off questions like "I've just started the minimal CD
29 >>> to install Gentoo but all I get is a black screen with some text at the
30 >>> bottom. Where do I click to install Gentoo?"
31 >>>
32 >>> I'm not 100% sure it wasn't a troll but as this represents a class of
33 >>> problems seen on the forums, I'm sure that some are genuine.
34 >>>
35 >> Maybe a quick Q&A for newcomers is needed? A kind of precis of what
36 >> there already is with links to the longer documents?
37 >>
38 > I have to say all this sounds like lowering the bar a little too far. While
39 > I am all for introducing newbs to Gentoo (in fact I've just got a
40 > 67-year-old and his wife, who don't know computers at all, hooked on Gentoo
41 > KDE;) that's not the same as them learning to install and administer a
42 > Genoo Linux system.
43 >
44 > I'd favour a "Why Gentoo Is Not For You" page, done as politely and
45 > respectfully as we can, pointing out that some basic *nix knowledge,
46 > including at the CLI, is pretty much mandatory for someone to be able to
47 > maintain a Gentoo box properly. (I'm not interested in the corner-cases
48 > where someone did actually manage to learn Linux on Gentoo first; sometimes
49 > exceptions prove rules.) This is not to be elitist: it's simply so that
50 > distros like Mandriva or Ubuntu, which /are/ setup for computing newbs, can
51 > fulfil that part of the learning curve.
52 >
53 > I don't think Gentoo could ever be at that stage until and unless it has the
54 > equivalent of the Mandrake Control Centre. #gentoo-guis is working towards
55 > that imo, so join there and help out if you want to make Gentoo "just
56 > work". himerge is really lush, if a bit tricky to install; insns at:
57 > http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Himerge
60 I disagree, if you tell people what is needed to administer a Gentoo
61 system then they may choose an easier distro but will do so with an
62 informed opinion.
63
64 Anyway, Gentoo can be picked up within a few hours so it's not exactly
65 that advanced, the configs and portage are the only 2 things they really
66 need to understand.
70 gentoo-project@l.g.o mailing list