From: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-project] Re: [gentoo-nfp] Re: How to improve the trustees
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 12:44:38
1 George Prowse wrote:
2 > Roy Bamford wrote:
3 >> On 2008.02.03 16:49, Matthew Summers wrote:
4 >>> Roy Bamford wrote:
5 >>>> Many new users come to gentoo as their first Linux. Many of them
6 >>>> are poorly informed about both Linux and Gentoo - I don't know how
7 >>>> to reach this group *before* they start asking for help in #gentoo
8 >>>> and on the forums. Thats the sort problem we have to solve.
9 >>>>
10 >>>>
11 >>> Roy,
12 >>>
13 >>> Towards a solution to this particular issue above, I suggest Gentoo
14 >>> provides a documentation project (possibly) entitled "Learning Linux
15 >>> with Gentoo". Within this we could easily address many issues faced
16 >>> by new Linux/Gentoo users.
17 <snip>
18 >>>
19 >>> As always, I offer my assistance/support in the aforementioned
20 >>> endeavor.
21 >>>
22 >> Matthew,
23 >>
24 >> I think this is a good idea. However, one of the issues is that a body
25 >> of new users is not even aware of the existance of the current
26 >> documentation.
27 >>
28 >> e.g. How to head off questions like "I've just started the minimal CD
29 >> to install Gentoo but all I get is a black screen with some text at the
30 >> bottom. Where do I click to install Gentoo?"
31 >>
32 >> I'm not 100% sure it wasn't a troll but as this represents a class of
33 >> problems seen on the forums, I'm sure that some are genuine.
36 > Maybe a quick Q&A for newcomers is needed? A kind of precis of what
37 > there already is with links to the longer documents?
38 >
39 I have to say all this sounds like lowering the bar a little too far. While
40 I am all for introducing newbs to Gentoo (in fact I've just got a
41 67-year-old and his wife, who don't know computers at all, hooked on Gentoo
42 KDE;) that's not the same as them learning to install and administer a
43 Genoo Linux system.
44
45 I'd favour a "Why Gentoo Is Not For You" page, done as politely and
46 respectfully as we can, pointing out that some basic *nix knowledge,
47 including at the CLI, is pretty much mandatory for someone to be able to
48 maintain a Gentoo box properly. (I'm not interested in the corner-cases
49 where someone did actually manage to learn Linux on Gentoo first; sometimes
50 exceptions prove rules.) This is not to be elitist: it's simply so that
51 distros like Mandriva or Ubuntu, which /are/ setup for computing newbs, can
52 fulfil that part of the learning curve.
53
54 I don't think Gentoo could ever be at that stage until and unless it has the
55 equivalent of the Mandrake Control Centre. #gentoo-guis is working towards
56 that imo, so join there and help out if you want to make Gentoo "just
57 work". himerge is really lush, if a bit tricky to install; insns at:
58 http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Himerge
62 gentoo-project@l.g.o mailing list