From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Evidence of idella4's damage to Gentoo, please
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2016 01:28:07
1 On Wed, Nov 30, 2016 at 5:43 AM, Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > I'm not going to mince words here: why did we kick out a contributor who
4 > was helping the Gentoo cause? I've looked over logs that were shared
5 > with me and the worst thing I could find was an off-color joke. Worse
6 > things occur on these mailing lists that never see Comrel's inbox, so
7 > why this?
10 So I'd expect a thread like this when you had exhausted some other avenues
11 of escalation. Its not clear you have.
12
13 1) Did you talk to comrel? It appears maybe you did, and they shared some
14 logs with you, and you evaluated them and disagreed with the outcome.
15 2) Did you ask them why they chose to enforce the rule against this
16 particular developer, or why they are not working on removing other
17 developers who say worse things? FWIW discretion in rule enforcement can be
18 a big deal, so I appreciate you bringing it up.
19
20 If you don't like their answers, I think this thread is an appropriate
21 forum to being them up, but not beforehand.
25 > Ian's ban was recently lifted (or so I heard). Correspondence from a
26 > member of Proxy Maintainers was shared with me, calling for Ian to be
27 > banned from #gentoo-proxy-maint on Freenode, despite Ian not visiting
28 > said channel recently. What is the reasoning for this?
31 Did you ask the channel owners? If their answer is unsatisfactory, escalate
32 upward.
33
34 I'm not going to speculate on why the idea was proposed (he isn't banned
35 there currently, according to my IRC client.)
36
37 What I'm looking for is undeniable proof that Ian was irrevocably
38 > damaging and threatening to Gentoo, to justify his dismissal and
39 > accompanying ban. If such information will not or cannot be provided,
40 > then it indicates to me that there *is* no proof, and without it I will
41 > call for his reinstatement for the next council meeting.
44 I suspect "irrevocably damaging and threatening to Gentoo" is likely not
45 the bar for dismissal from the project (and the bar is perhaps lower.)
46
47 You can dislike the bar, and I wholeheartedly encourage any efforts to
48 change it.
51 > I am not alone in requesting accountability from the top of Gentoo. I
52 > will take the results of this conversation into consideration when it's
53 > time to vote next year, as Gentoo is suffering from staffing issues and
54 > practices like this actively damage Gentoo's ability to attract and
55 > retain contributors. I have personally met people who have suffered as a
56 > result of this debacle; people willing and eager to help us out that are
57 > still struggling to join our ranks. So what gives?
60 > This distribution should not turn away anyone willing (and able) to
61 > help. This is a critical flaw that could accelerate our decline.
64 So if I openly insult people of other nationalities or races on a regular
65 basis on mailing lists or in chat, but I'm also a prolific Gentoo
66 contributor; that is OK?
67
68 I get that there are essentially two main problems with excluding people.
69
70 1) Prosecutorial Discretion (why kick out person1 but not person2; who was
71 also bad) which leads to people upset at uneven enforcement.
72 2) Judging contributors as good / bad can be tricky, because sometimes you
73 will allow bad people to stay in the project and good people will get
74 kicked out.
75
76 We can avoid this by just never excluding people. I doubt that is really
77 tractable because in the case of actual harassment, I expect the organs of
78 the community to act. In the oughts' this was the case (mailing lists got
79 bad and we had the code of conduct, Proctors, etc.) Would people leave if
80 we went back to that?
84 > Thank you for your time.
85 > --
86 > Daniel Campbell - Gentoo Developer
87 > OpenPGP Key: 0x1EA055D6 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net
88 > fpr: AE03 9064 AE00 053C 270C 1DE4 6F7A 9091 1EA0 55D6