From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: Mikle Kolyada <zlogene@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Recruitment issues and potential improvement
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2015 18:22:47
1 Dnia 2015-02-05, o godz. 21:08:43
2 Mikle Kolyada <zlogene@g.o> napisał(a):
5 > 05.02.2015 09:56, Michał Górny пишет:
6 > > Hello, everyone.
7 > >
8 > > It's finally time to discuss some of the recruitment issues. It's not
9 > > a new complaint that the process is time-consuming and discouraging to
10 > > our contributors. We have a pretty low number of new recruits [well,
11 > > we could definitely have a higher number!] and too often they resign
12 > > in the process.
13 > >
14 > > As I see it, the main issue are ebuild quizzes. They are very time-
15 > > consuming and discouraging. It's like filling a quiz with relatively
16 > > simple questions where answers need to fit a key, and you have to tell
17 > > the recruit to fill in the missing bits a few times just to help him
18 > > get further.
19 > >
20 > > I myself attempted ebuild quiz twice, because the first time I simply
21 > > ended up not having the time for it. My late recruit was making slow
22 > > progress, and recently vanished -- hopefully only because he doesn't
23 > > have will for that anymore. As I see it, the disadvantages outweigh
24 > > the benefits here.
25 > >
26 > > I have discussed this with kensington and a few Council members
27 > > (unofficially), and we came up with following ideas:
28 > >
29 > > 1. remove or reduce the ebuild quiz to a reasonable number of
30 > > questions. In other words, make it bearable. Focus on the stuff that
31 > > can't be checked otherwise.
32 > >
33 > > 2. Add an extra contribution period in which the candidate commits to
34 > > the tree through Pull Requests. Developers watch the requests, review
35 > > them and decide when the recruit is ready. We may extend this with
36 > > requirements like '3 different developers must review late activities
37 > > and evaluate them'.
38 > >
39 > > 3. Possibly extend the recruit-recruiter interaction. Rather than
40 > > treating the interrogation as some kind of final confirmation, make it
41 > > a small extra part of the learning process. In other words, reduce
42 > > the other parts, fill in the blanks here.
43 > >
44 > > What do you think?
45 > >
46 > I try to be short.
47 > First of all, i'm against to make quizzes simpler or shorter. I have few
48 > real examples, when people do a LOT of mistakes even after they passed
49 > the quizzes.
50
51 And how people doing mistakes *after* passing the quizzes proves that
52 quizzes are good? As I see it, this just proves that they don't do
53 their job.
54
55 > > Add an extra contribution period in which the candidate commits to
56 > the tree through Pull Requests.
57 >
58 > All mentors should track their recruits during first month. If mentor
59 > doesn't do this, this is "bad" mentor, IMO. It looks like some mentors
60 > think *ok, my mentee passed the quizzes, he is a developer, i can to
61 > nothing*
62
63 This happens *after* being recruited. What I'm talking, there should be
64 more focus on doing and judging actual contributions before all that
65 formal crap.
68 Best regards,
69 Michał Górny