From: Mikle Kolyada <zlogene@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Recruitment issues and potential improvement
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2015 18:10:35
1 05.02.2015 09:56, Michał Górny пишет:
2 > Hello, everyone.
3 >
4 > It's finally time to discuss some of the recruitment issues. It's not
5 > a new complaint that the process is time-consuming and discouraging to
6 > our contributors. We have a pretty low number of new recruits [well,
7 > we could definitely have a higher number!] and too often they resign
8 > in the process.
9 >
10 > As I see it, the main issue are ebuild quizzes. They are very time-
11 > consuming and discouraging. It's like filling a quiz with relatively
12 > simple questions where answers need to fit a key, and you have to tell
13 > the recruit to fill in the missing bits a few times just to help him
14 > get further.
15 >
16 > I myself attempted ebuild quiz twice, because the first time I simply
17 > ended up not having the time for it. My late recruit was making slow
18 > progress, and recently vanished -- hopefully only because he doesn't
19 > have will for that anymore. As I see it, the disadvantages outweigh
20 > the benefits here.
21 >
22 > I have discussed this with kensington and a few Council members
23 > (unofficially), and we came up with following ideas:
24 >
25 > 1. remove or reduce the ebuild quiz to a reasonable number of
26 > questions. In other words, make it bearable. Focus on the stuff that
27 > can't be checked otherwise.
28 >
29 > 2. Add an extra contribution period in which the candidate commits to
30 > the tree through Pull Requests. Developers watch the requests, review
31 > them and decide when the recruit is ready. We may extend this with
32 > requirements like '3 different developers must review late activities
33 > and evaluate them'.
34 >
35 > 3. Possibly extend the recruit-recruiter interaction. Rather than
36 > treating the interrogation as some kind of final confirmation, make it
37 > a small extra part of the learning process. In other words, reduce
38 > the other parts, fill in the blanks here.
39 >
40 > What do you think?
41 >
42 I try to be short.
43 First of all, i'm against to make quizzes simpler or shorter. I have few
44 real examples, when people do a LOT of mistakes even after they passed
45 the quizzes.
46 I agree with hwoarang, you must not make this decision without talk to
47 the team. Sorry guys, don't think it's council area. Don't think they
48 really know how it's hard to recruit some people during sessions.
49
50 > Add an extra contribution period in which the candidate commits to
51 the tree through Pull Requests.
52
53 All mentors should track their recruits during first month. If mentor
54 doesn't do this, this is "bad" mentor, IMO. It looks like some mentors
55 think *ok, my mentee passed the quizzes, he is a developer, i can to
56 nothing*
57
58 I think mentors should be more serious.