From: desultory <desultory@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Cc: proctors@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Why should you *not* vote on existing Council members
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2019 04:03:05
1 On 06/28/19 06:32, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Fri, Jun 28, 2019 at 1:39 AM desultory <desultory@g.o> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> On 06/27/19 10:15, Rich Freeman wrote:
5 >>>
6 >>> No matter what the policy is set to, somebody will be upset. However,
7 >>> we should still have a published policy.
8 >>>
9 >> Saying something as a member of the council does not mean implementing
10 >> something as a member of the council, though only little effort
11 >> separates them. Blaming ComRel for what others did not do and for not
12 >> setting policy for the council, from which it draws its mandate and to
13 >> which it reports (not dictates), are both absurd.
14 >
15 > Nobody is blaming anybody for this. I simply said that we ought to
16 > have a published policy.
17 >
18 > Heck, I'll blame myself: I could have filed a bug or brought the issue
19 > up in an agenda call. I'll file a bug now and Comrel/Council can
20 > figure out what they want to do.
21 >
22 >> Thus by the implication of proctors own published policy the publication
23 >> of all proctors data is less important than contacting the subject of a
24 >> complaint to resolve the matter before disciplinary action is taken,
25 >> curiously there is no indication that this was carried through in the
26 >> instance which spawned this discussion.
27 >
28 > No disciplinary action was taken in this case (you'll note that the
29 > section you quoted said nothing of warnings - a warning is a decision
30 > to not take action over a violation). However, I'll agree that the
31 > page could probably be cleaner. It was written in stages, with
32 > general content not actually being written by the Proctors themselves,
33 > and then it was implemented in actual procedure further down. The end
34 > result is that you get stuff that is more general at the top and stuff
35 > that is more procedural at the bottom.
36 >
37 SO, by your logic: "The following disciplinary actions may or may not be
38 enforced when the Proctors become aware of a direct CoC violation." does
39 not apply to warnings because warnings, which are actions by an
40 enforcement body to promote compliance while avoiding direct
41 disciplinary action, are somehow not actions, and are therefore by your
42 logic not subject to the publication requirements... despite having been
43 done in public.
44
45 >> If proctors do not add value in areas in which ComRel operates and
46 >> ComRel operates everywhere that proctors do, how is the existence of
47 >> proctors justified?
48 >
49 > Comrel and Proctors are two different approaches to a somewhat similar problem.
50 >
51 > Proctors are intended to take action quickly, but on a small scale.
52 > We issue warnings, or short-term bans. The goal is to try to moderate
53 > our communications and improve the general atmosphere. We don't deal
54 > with serious issues.
55 >
56 > Comrel is much more deliberative and take a much longer time to make
57 > decisions (at least from what I've seen). They tend to deal with more
58 > serious issues, and sometimes ones where the only solution is to expel
59 > somebody from the community.
60 >
61 > Proctors operates fairly publicly - all our decisions are public, and
62 > we only deal with things that happen in public. This allows a lot
63 > more transparency. Comrel tends to operate more in private, dealing
64 > sometimes with interpersonal issues that are not public, which hinders
65 > transparency.
66 >
67 > I can't speak for everybody on Council who approved resurrecting
68 > Proctors, but in general I would say that one of the goals was that
69 > Proctors would triage a lot of smaller issues so that they don't bog
70 > down in Comrel, and that faster responses might help to provide
71 > feedback to our lists/channels/etc so that the overall tenor of
72 > conversation improves.
73 >
74 So, it exists to, in theory, provide a patch over perceived
75 institutional inadequacies in ComRel which is considered to be too slow
76 to effectively operate in any but the most egregious cases. What about
77 its practical value, given that by your description proctors provides no
78 value in areas where ComRel is active?
79
80 > Put more simply: Proctors is a flyswatter, and Comrel is more of a
81 > sledgehammer; when you're dealing with insects, the flyswatter is more
82 > agile and tends to leave fewer holes in the wall.
83 >
84 I am sure that those subject to proctors actions, whether proctors
85 considers their actions to be actions or not, all welcome their newfound
86 status as insects to be swatted, not individuals with which to be reasoned.
87
88 >>> All Proctors actions and bugs (whether action is taken or not) are
89 >>> public. Anybody can review what we're doing and raise whatever
90 >>> concerns they wish, as you have done.
91 >>>
92 >> By the proctors own published policy, cited above, that claim is false.
93 >> Yes, the bugs are, by policy public, but all actions taken and not
94 >> cannot possibly be documented, please do not overgeneralize.
95 >
96 > Read our resolution process (which granted is only a few months old,
97 > so it wasn't followed exactly the first few months after we were
98 > reconstituted). The first thing we do when cases are opened is open a
99 > public bug. All actions will be documented in these bugs.
100 >
101 I did read you policies, I have quoted them to you, telling me to read
102 them again is... unhelpful. Again I ask you: why it has taken a year for
103 proctors to act when you personally acknowledge that there have been
104 more significant violations of the CoC?
105
106 > In any case, the process speaks for itself and is on our webpage.
107 > Anybody can read exactly what is done and search bugzilla for our
108 > alias. Arguing over what is or isn't an "action" is silly - the
109 > process is there to read.
110 >
111 So far, the process has spoken for itself by saying that warnings will
112 be issued for violations of policies which did not exist at the time the
113 warning was issued. This is not how community is fostered, this is how a
114 climate of distrust is fostered.
115
116 As for `Arguing over what is or isn't an "action"`, do kindly bear in
117 mind that you made that point, and that you did so with multiple
118 contradictions, so I guess silly me for seeking clarity.
119
120 >>> Of course. And that is why we have the opportunity for feedback. All
121 >>> policies need refinement over time, and Council is the appropriate
122 >>> place to bring concerns about the meaning of the CoC.
123 >>>
124 >> And enforcing bodies are, or at least should be, suitable points of
125 >> contact for concerns regarding their handling of the CoC.
126 >
127 > Sure, and I've explained my reasoning in applying the CoC. If you're
128 > unsatisfied with my reading of the CoC, the Council has ultimate
129 > responsibility, and we respect their decisions.
130 >
131 At this point, I would consider it entirely fair to state that I am
132 indeed unsatisfied with the actions in question.
133
134 > Ultimately though no policy around human interaction will ever be
135 > completely precise in its formulation. At best you end up with
136 > principles and guidances that evolve over time.
137 >
138 Should such "principles and guidances" not be know to those upon which
139 they will be enforced before they are actually enforced?
140
141 > And that is why Proctors is designed to be more like a flyswatter than
142 > a sledgehammer. It WON'T be perfect. However, it also won't leave
143 > holes in the wall. A few seem to be expressing great concern over a
144 > warning, and even if a ban had been issued it would be over already.
145 > I get that it is a somewhat new operation, but it isn't intended that
146 > anybody who receives a Proctors warning will fall on their sword in
147 > disgrace. If anybody has suggestions for how warnings can be worded
148 > so that people take them seriously and improve how they communicate,
149 > but don't feel like they're being driven out of Gentoo, I'm certainly
150 > interested.
151 >
152 If you think that I am demanding perfection, allow me to assuage your
153 concerns, I am not demanding perfection. I am, however, rather
154 disinclined to accept things being badly handled just because, as you
155 put it, "we're just stuck with the people willing to do the work", after
156 all one of the primary implications of being willing to do the work is
157 being willing to do it properly.
158
159 As for "expressing great concern over a warning", I am expressing
160 concern over failing to react repeatedly, followed by warning over a
161 policy which did not exist until after someone was warned for having
162 violated it. That "even if a ban had been issued it would be over
163 already" is utterly immaterial and, frankly a rather concerning
164 sentiment as it projects the impression that from your perspective it
165 does not matter if you handle something badly so long as it times out
166 all will be well, no harm done. Societies do not work that way.
167
168 Proctors is not new, it has been around in more or less its current form
169 for two days short of a full year, it has had more than enough time to
170 actually integrate itself into the social fabric of the distribution
171 which it theoretically serves, without disgracing anyone, or passing out
172 swords to fall on.
173
174 As for suggestions for wording of warnings, actually having a published
175 policy in place to which to refer, far and away preferably one which was
176 actually discussed in public beforehand would be beneficial. As would
177 interacting with people as people
178
179 >> Your argument appears to be essentially that you were bound to act
180 >> because a bug was filed, while proctors policy explicitly states that it
181 >> has the option to not enforce it own policies even when it considers a
182 >> violation to have occurred:
183 >> "The following disciplinary actions may or may not be enforced when the
184 >> Proctors become aware of a direct CoC violation."
185 >> Please explain.
186 >
187 > Sure. None of those disciplinary actions were enforced in this case.
188 >