From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: desultory <desultory@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>, proctors@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Why should you *not* vote on existing Council members
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2019 10:32:59
1 On Fri, Jun 28, 2019 at 1:39 AM desultory <desultory@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 06/27/19 10:15, Rich Freeman wrote:
4 > >
5 > > No matter what the policy is set to, somebody will be upset. However,
6 > > we should still have a published policy.
7 > >
8 > Saying something as a member of the council does not mean implementing
9 > something as a member of the council, though only little effort
10 > separates them. Blaming ComRel for what others did not do and for not
11 > setting policy for the council, from which it draws its mandate and to
12 > which it reports (not dictates), are both absurd.
13
14 Nobody is blaming anybody for this. I simply said that we ought to
15 have a published policy.
16
17 Heck, I'll blame myself: I could have filed a bug or brought the issue
18 up in an agenda call. I'll file a bug now and Comrel/Council can
19 figure out what they want to do.
20
21 > Thus by the implication of proctors own published policy the publication
22 > of all proctors data is less important than contacting the subject of a
23 > complaint to resolve the matter before disciplinary action is taken,
24 > curiously there is no indication that this was carried through in the
25 > instance which spawned this discussion.
26
27 No disciplinary action was taken in this case (you'll note that the
28 section you quoted said nothing of warnings - a warning is a decision
29 to not take action over a violation). However, I'll agree that the
30 page could probably be cleaner. It was written in stages, with
31 general content not actually being written by the Proctors themselves,
32 and then it was implemented in actual procedure further down. The end
33 result is that you get stuff that is more general at the top and stuff
34 that is more procedural at the bottom.
35
36 > If proctors do not add value in areas in which ComRel operates and
37 > ComRel operates everywhere that proctors do, how is the existence of
38 > proctors justified?
39
40 Comrel and Proctors are two different approaches to a somewhat similar problem.
41
42 Proctors are intended to take action quickly, but on a small scale.
43 We issue warnings, or short-term bans. The goal is to try to moderate
44 our communications and improve the general atmosphere. We don't deal
45 with serious issues.
46
47 Comrel is much more deliberative and take a much longer time to make
48 decisions (at least from what I've seen). They tend to deal with more
49 serious issues, and sometimes ones where the only solution is to expel
50 somebody from the community.
51
52 Proctors operates fairly publicly - all our decisions are public, and
53 we only deal with things that happen in public. This allows a lot
54 more transparency. Comrel tends to operate more in private, dealing
55 sometimes with interpersonal issues that are not public, which hinders
56 transparency.
57
58 I can't speak for everybody on Council who approved resurrecting
59 Proctors, but in general I would say that one of the goals was that
60 Proctors would triage a lot of smaller issues so that they don't bog
61 down in Comrel, and that faster responses might help to provide
62 feedback to our lists/channels/etc so that the overall tenor of
63 conversation improves.
64
65 Put more simply: Proctors is a flyswatter, and Comrel is more of a
66 sledgehammer; when you're dealing with insects, the flyswatter is more
67 agile and tends to leave fewer holes in the wall.
68
69 > > All Proctors actions and bugs (whether action is taken or not) are
70 > > public. Anybody can review what we're doing and raise whatever
71 > > concerns they wish, as you have done.
72 > >
73 > By the proctors own published policy, cited above, that claim is false.
74 > Yes, the bugs are, by policy public, but all actions taken and not
75 > cannot possibly be documented, please do not overgeneralize.
76
77 Read our resolution process (which granted is only a few months old,
78 so it wasn't followed exactly the first few months after we were
79 reconstituted). The first thing we do when cases are opened is open a
80 public bug. All actions will be documented in these bugs.
81
82 In any case, the process speaks for itself and is on our webpage.
83 Anybody can read exactly what is done and search bugzilla for our
84 alias. Arguing over what is or isn't an "action" is silly - the
85 process is there to read.
86
87 > > Of course. And that is why we have the opportunity for feedback. All
88 > > policies need refinement over time, and Council is the appropriate
89 > > place to bring concerns about the meaning of the CoC.
90 > >
91 > And enforcing bodies are, or at least should be, suitable points of
92 > contact for concerns regarding their handling of the CoC.
93
94 Sure, and I've explained my reasoning in applying the CoC. If you're
95 unsatisfied with my reading of the CoC, the Council has ultimate
96 responsibility, and we respect their decisions.
97
98 Ultimately though no policy around human interaction will ever be
99 completely precise in its formulation. At best you end up with
100 principles and guidances that evolve over time.
101
102 And that is why Proctors is designed to be more like a flyswatter than
103 a sledgehammer. It WON'T be perfect. However, it also won't leave
104 holes in the wall. A few seem to be expressing great concern over a
105 warning, and even if a ban had been issued it would be over already.
106 I get that it is a somewhat new operation, but it isn't intended that
107 anybody who receives a Proctors warning will fall on their sword in
108 disgrace. If anybody has suggestions for how warnings can be worded
109 so that people take them seriously and improve how they communicate,
110 but don't feel like they're being driven out of Gentoo, I'm certainly
111 interested.
112
113 > Your argument appears to be essentially that you were bound to act
114 > because a bug was filed, while proctors policy explicitly states that it
115 > has the option to not enforce it own policies even when it considers a
116 > violation to have occurred:
117 > "The following disciplinary actions may or may not be enforced when the
118 > Proctors become aware of a direct CoC violation."
119 > Please explain.
120
121 Sure. None of those disciplinary actions were enforced in this case.
124 Rich