From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2019-05-12
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2019 15:37:25
1 On Mon, Apr 29, 2019 at 11:10 AM Matthew Thode
2 <prometheanfire@g.o> wrote:
3 >
4 > On 19-04-28 21:46:24, Rich Freeman wrote:
5 > > On Sun, Apr 28, 2019 at 6:42 PM Thomas Deutschmann <whissi@g.o> wrote:
6 > > >
7 > > > Please respond to this message with agenda items. Do not hesitate to
8 > > > repeat your agenda item here with a pointer if you previously
9 > > > suggested one (since the last meeting).
10 > > >
11 > >
12 > > I would like the council to consider my patch to GLEP 63 to allow a
13 > > single combined primary/signing key when the key is stored on a
14 > > smartcard, so that keys may be generated on a Nitrokey without relying
15 > > on a primary key maintained offline in software, which I think will
16 > > not happen much in practice. This should increase the security of
17 > > signing keys by reducing handling or even storage of primary keys on
18 > > internet-connected hosts (which the GLEP already allows for).
19 > >
20 > > Patch and discussion at:
21 > > https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/message/d05070a200e4f5858642d308d9b3e39f
22 >
23 > My main concern here is devs needing to re-establish their keys with
24 > infra in a trusted maner when the key is lost/stolen or otherwise
25 > defunct. Re-establishing that trust may be outside the scope of this
26 > request though.
29 Probably better to discuss in the other thread, but re-establishing
30 the key is just a matter of logging into dev.gentoo.org and changing
31 your fingerprint. I just did it the other week to create a new key
32 for the nitrokey. That issue exists with software keys as well,
33 though I will concede that it is possible to back up a software key,
34 and it is not possible to do this if it is generated on a smartcard.
35
36 The main downsides to having your primary key generated on a smartcard
37 and losing it are:
38 1. You do need to generate a new key and change the fingerprint on
39 dev.gentoo.org. In practice the root of our security isn't actually
40 the gpg key but the ssh key, and ldap password.
41 2. You lose any WoT signatures from other devs or individuals on your
42 gpg key. You will regain the signoff from infra when you change your
43 key in LDAP.
44 3. You lose the ability to decrypt any data that you are storing
45 encrypted to your lost key. If you do use the key for encryption then
46 it would be better to either have a backup for this key, or to archive
47 this data unencrypted or encrypted with a key you can recover (the
48 latter isn't an equivalent problem, because you can encrypt that using
49 a key you never need to routinely use, and can also choose to encrypt
50 that data with multiple keys so that even if stored on hardware you
51 could have backups in practice).
52
53 I will also note, that the current GLEP already allows generating
54 primary keys on a smartcard, and thus already exposes us to the issue
55 of key loss without the possibility of backups. It just requires two
56 different smartcards to accomplish, unless there is some way to hack
57 gpg to use an authentication key for the signing or primary role. The
58 change is to allow a single combined primary/signing key when it is
59 generated on hardware, the existing policy says nothing about
60 maintaining backups of the primary key.
61
62 I would really suggest that the hardware-only key is most appropriate
63 when you're only signing commits, and not depending on a WoT.
64 However, in practice for most devs I think this is going to end up
65 being more secure than how they would otherwise end up managing their
66 keys (either not using hardware at all, or keeping their primary key
67 online, which basically defeats the point of having the hardware).
70 Rich