From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>, council@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2019-07-21
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2019 13:55:40
On Tue, Jul 09, 2019 at 11:28:50AM +0200, Lars Wendler wrote:
> Hi, > > On Sun, 07 Jul 2019 23:00:01 +0200 Michał Górny wrote: >
*snip*
> >My second agenda item is: removing posting restrictions from gentoo-dev > >mailing list. > > > >I was on the Council that made those changes, and from retrospective I > >believe the decision to be a mistake. It was made to workaround > >a problem with inefficiency of ComRel, and we should have focused > >on fixing ComRel instead. I don't believe it serves its purpose well > >and IMO it causes more problems than it solves.
*snip*
> I fully support this request. > This was the utter worst decision being done by council I've ever had > the misfortune to be a witness of and I hope our new council will try > to never top this kind of bad decisions.
I was on the council that made this decision as well, and I feel that it should never have passed because it comes dangerously close to violating our social contract. Some disagree because everything is still read only, but I'm still not comfortable with it. From my POV, there is not really anything to discuss. The post restriction should be removed immediately. William