From: NP-Hardass <NP-Hardass@g.o>
To: Raymond Jennings <shentino@×××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Trying to become a Gentoo Developer again spanning 8 years...
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2016 00:59:12
1 On 10/06/2016 06:09 PM, Raymond Jennings wrote:
2 > On Thu, Oct 6, 2016 at 12:45 AM, NP-Hardass <NP-Hardass@g.o> wrote:
3 >> TL;DR: Projects already are designed to handle leadership internally.
4 >> This is best handled by those involved. Those that aren't involved are
5 >> welcome to get involved if they think they can make an impact. You
6 >> can't force anyone to do anything, and attempting to do so is often and
7 >> likely detrimental.
8 >>
9 >> --
10 >> NP-Hardass
11 >
12 > I'm not trying to drum up bureaucracy.
13 >
14 > I just wanted to make sure that a project couldn't, even hypothetically,
15 > implode in stagnation with no way to break the deadlock...and possibly
16 > without having to have the council take time to deal with it.
17 >
18 > Key factors:
19 >
20 > 1. IIRC, a project's lead has absolute power over who stays and who
21 > goes as a member
22 > 2. the project lead is elected by the members
23 >
24 > 1 and 2 might form a feedback loop.
25 >
26 > If i'm mistaken please feel free to correct. I'm not picking on any
27 > project in particular, just remember the recent fluffle with Games and
28 > curious if comrel intervention is the best or only way to break a
29 > deadlocked project.
30 >
31 If a project a malicious dictator for a leader, then the project can
32 elect a new leader. If that fails, in the absolute worse case scenario,
33 the developers that agree with the current situation are free to leave
34 and start their own project. Meta structure allows them to do this
35 without impediment, especially since contradictory and competing
36 projects are allowed. In a more favorable outcome, the malicious
37 dictator does something to warrant external intervention from either
38 Council or ComRel, depending on the situation. It's not great in any
39 case, but it isn't completely dire.
42 NP-Hardass